Using on-line sound effects

2mojo2

There seem to be any number of free sources of sound effects on line, as well as the paid sources that have been mentioned here previously.

While I can go to a site like Findsounds and listen to thousands of clips, I have not figured out to copy the free files and put them to use.

I imagine that this is a laughably elementary question for the digitally advanced out there. I welcome your educational replies.

2mojo2
analog guy in a digital world

Try freesound :: home page it is full of free sounds that all you have to do is download and use. I use it regularly - mix it down with something as simple to learn as Audacity and they work great! You may have to sign up for a username and password, but what site does not these days...?

If all else fails, while hovering over the link, try the Right-mouse-click and then "save target as..."

It works more often than not!

If that doesn't work, I cuss and yell at the PC until my daughter comes in a helps me.

Too bad for me, my daughters are off to college.
I have tried downloading files using Quicktime and Windows Media-no dice.
I am probably overlooking something very basic.

While the quality will be degraded slightly you can do the following:
Open whatever sound editing software you choose: audition, audacity, reaper etc.
Create a new file
Make sure your sound card is selected as the default input source
Start recording
Click on the link to play the file
once the playback is complete stop the recording.

Clean up the ends of the file to get rid of excessive dead space

Save

Rinse, Lather, Repeat....but only on royalty free files ;)

Always the party pooper, but be sure to read any use agreements associated with anything you download. Sites like findsounds actually link to other sites for the sounds themselves and often those sites do have use restrictions.

That is an excellent point, and one that I am conscious of.
Until I succeed in downloading a file in a form I can use, it is also a moot point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back