Using Projection as Stage Lighting

LCD panels also suck up alot of light.
Comparing a 150w HID source four's output to a dual 400w HID projector's output either means they need better reflector design or the panel, even when "open white" isn't allowing all of the light to pass through.
I've worked with and rented DLP projectors for events because I know they are more efficient but I'm one of those people who can always see the rainbow and it drives me nuts!

Way back in 1994 I wrote a Letter to the Editor of TD&T suggesting that the future of lighting control & design lay in using open source protocols - tcp/ip, Ethernet cables instead of AMX/DMX, video projectors powerful enough to replace ellipsoidal spots & moving head projectors and so on.

Some of this has come to pass. But the majority of stages in the world still rely on early to mid 20th century lighting technology - with one or two updates. Memory lighting consoles are now inexpensive enough to replace 2 scene presets in those installations fortunate to have SCR/triac dimmer banks (but what about installations with autotransformers?). Video projectors are now often used to reduce the need for practical scenery in school plays.

The enormous size of the installed base means that innovation and change come slowly. The Kliegl Bros. #70 plano-convex spot with a 1kw G40 bulb finally got replaced with a cast aluminum Century leko in the 1960s. Many buildings still have autotransformer controlled architectual lighting. Auditoriums with low utilization still find it cheaper to keep using incandescent fixtures like the Arial Davis/Electro Clntrols 3205 framing spot - which will eventually be replaced when the inventory of PAR64 bulbs dries up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back