Using Rovers/photo paper gobos/spiking shutters

rochem

For a show I'm designing now, I have two S4s mounted on wooden bases which are being used as roving shins, one per side of the stage. Each unit has two or three different focuses throughout the show, and the units can't be moved into place until just before they're needed to stay out of the way of actors and scenery. I have the base locations drawn out on the floor for every focus the units need to be placed in, but I can't figure out how to notate the shutter cuts. How can I accurately mark the shutters such that I can preset the shutters before the unit comes up without seeing the light?

Another way to do it would be to use a few gobos. Swap in the one you need for each scene.

Another way to do it would be to use a few gobos. Swap in the one you need for each scene.
I've heard of repertory companies doing similar. Appropriate shutter cuts are made. A photo-sensitive paper is placed in the gobo holder, and the lamp is turned on briefly. Then a gobo is cut replicating the shutter cuts.

Might be a workable solution in this instance. Anyone know what paper would be suitable?

Unfortunately, inventory doesn't allow us to use separate units. Even if we could, you'd still have the problem that if one shutter ever got bumped, there'd be no way to find the right cut without seeing the beam.

I was planning on using either Paint Pens or some spike tape directly on the shutters. However, I was concerned about problem with heat, especially for the tape. What if a very deep shutter cut caused another marking to go inside the body? Would the heat cause issues with the paint pen or tape, or should it be fine? These instruments wont ever be on for more than 1 or 2 minutes at a time, with a long span of time in between, so that might keep the instrument cool enough.

I like the gobo idea, but this is just a small high school show with a weekend run, and it's not worth getting 4 or 5 custom gobos made. I'll definitely keep that in mind, however. How could you make sure the gobos didn't rotate or shift at all in the holders? It seems like even a small movement would result in a very incorrect cut.

I've heard of repertory companies doing similar. Appropriate shutter cuts are made. A photo-sensitive paper is placed in the gobo holder, and the lamp is turned on briefly. Then a gobo is cut replicating the shutter cuts.

Might be a workable solution in this instance. Anyone know what paper would be suitable?

I'd never thought of this, and I like it! Do you know what the "photo-sensitive paper" might be?

Pie pan gobos work fine for high schools without money.

I've done it once using the paper that is tracing paper/craft paper -like, it turned blue where the light was.

Generally though, I've just made customs from old aperture reducers and dremeled them to the cuts I need bit by bit.

Last edited:
I'd never thought of this, and I like it! Do you know what the "photo-sensitive paper" might be?
I'm guessing something like this. As Arez said, it's a simple gobo with straight lines, so pie plates would be fine, no need to have the gobo professionally made.

Neat paper. Another thing to add to the big file of useful things in the back of my head.

I'm guessing something like this. As Arez said, it's a simple gobo with straight lines, so pie plates would be fine, no need to have the gobo professionally made.

Some receipt printers use 'thermal' paper. It prints using heat rather than ink or toner. I've heard of people leaving these receipts on their dashboard on a hot summer day and discovering that it had turned completely black.

You could probably pick up a roll of it at any office supply store.

As Arez said, it's a simple gobo with straight lines, so pie plates would be fine, no need to have the gobo professionally made.

I feel like an idiot. Right after I posted that, I realized that it would be a simple four-sided shape and would be really easy. Maybe I will look more into this. If that doesn't work out for this show, however, would paint pen or spike tape on the shutters work out, or would the heat make that impossible?

I'd go with ink, though you might have to touch it up a bit every now and then. No one wants to clean melted tape goo out of an instrument once someone pushed the shutters in too far.

another route is if there is plenty of time between placements is to (this might be a bit longwinded, sorry) during pre-production, after the first position is focused, take the unit offstage, set it in a postion near an outlet or circuit, mark the base position, light the unit and tape the wall with the cut. label the pattern and repeat with the other cuts. then all you need to do to recreate the cut is to place the light and cut the tape. you should even have the tilt correct. since the s4 doesn't have shutter locks, you always have the issue of knocking the shutters. the pie pan gobo is a good idea as well.

I really like the thermal paper and pie plate idea. I have made my share of pie plate gobos over the years but never thought of using thermal paper to get the shape. Always good to put another tool in the box of knowledge.

So how does everyone spike their shutter cuts? I've got many ellipsoidals on booms in my current show and I just KNOW actors are going to bump them. Sharpie seems too permanent, and I worry about the goo that will result from the spike tape currently used. Maybe china marker is best? Now I see the appeal of Altman's locking shutters.

Muffler Tape, cut into strips. High temp backing doesn't goo and usually stays attached for a couple of months of use.

As a general rule, if I see it is bumped during channel check then I refocus the entire instrument including shutters. I will say that I have seen the high temp tape, such as muffler tape, do a fantastic job at marking cuts. I have noticed on shows that require booms that I, or an electrician, has to check every boom. We strive to check focus, connections, safety equipment, gel burnout, gobo positioning, and bulb burnout. These things almost insure that you have looked the boom over well. Depending on the style boom you use, it may be necessary to check sandbags, weights, etc.

Since I'm a freelance ME for this show, I won't be here nightly. The LD will also be gone after opening. It is up to my light board op to check these nightly. Muffler tape sounds great, ill have to pick some up.

And these booms don't need sand bags because they are continuous pipes flanged to the floor and cheeseboroughed to the catwalks. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back