USITT 2019 digital media

What do you want to see or learn about Digital Media at USITT 2019?

• Projection on a limited budget

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Content creation 101

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Signal flow, basic to advanced

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Digital Media curriculum, how to teach

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Hands on workshop - please state preference of server or system

• History of projection design

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Projection mapping 101

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Math for projection

• Panel discussion on professional projects

• other (because there is so much to learn, be specific)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
For those of you who did not make it this year, or haven't heard much about next year, we are going to have a major push on digital media for the 2019 conference. What that means for most of you is that there is going to be a lot more projectors, media servers, and classes (beginning-advanced and general).

This is your chance to make your voice heard as I am on the Digital Media commission and we are making these decisions now (we will be setting the foundation in May). There are only so many poll choices that I can do, so most of this is for learning. If there is a manufacturer that you would like to see there, let me know. A bulk of this I will be working on mid-April at NAB.

I think I've already sold my soul away to the automation gods, but if I was in the market for this kind of training I would want to something along the lines of "I can converge and map projectors, now how do I do something cool with the next step?" The reasoning is there are a lot of high budget shows and expensive museum exhibits that use external technology like object tracking/detection and encoder input of effect the projection, but could that be brought down to a more accessible level?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get to attend virtually any sessions at USITT (although I did go to 1 this year) but I would LOVE to go to content creation 101.

What tools should I use, what considerations do I need to keep in mind when designing content, what sort of design "gotchas" do I need to be aware of (moire in patterns, etc) and how do I calculate the pixel dimensions of the projection? Also, how can I make an element in the design be 6 feet tall (because that's what the director wants). What's the easiest way to figure out scale ahead of time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back