USITT 2022

DELO72

Are you folks planning on attending? So far the Exhibitor turnout looks to be quite high, but with Omicron running rampant across the globe, I'm thinking we are going to sadly (again *sigh*) sit this one out. I'm just getting over long-COVID after LDI... I'm not keen on getting it again. Flights, Airports, Tradeshow, dinners out... it's a disaster waiting to happen (again for me at least). If they could just make an N100 mask I could leave on while eating....

I dread going to Large Theme Park to clock in 5 days a week. No way I'm going in person to trade shows right now.

I've opted not to go. I will likely go to Infocomm this summer, but even that is a bit of a waste -- manufacturers are 6-10 months backorder right now -- and that's what they'll tell you backorder is, but in some cases you hit the end of that timeline and find out they still aren't ready to ship. Little virtue in walking a show floor of products that might as well be vaporware.

Only reason for me to go to USITT would be for the conference sessions, which are not posted yet, and as previous conferences have shown can be subject to last minute cancellations. It would be nice if USITT made the sessions available for streaming under a lower registration fee, but I haven't seen any indication they will do this.

While I'm not particularly concerned about catching COVID myself, this year's conference just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Going and showing. I'm in the "By march we hopefully will be in a better place with COVID" camp and optimistic that another variant won't make me regret my decisions.

I'm hoping to go if I can work out the travel expenses. The current projections (baring some new variant) are looking really good. We currently are running around 2,150,000 new infections and 1,500 deaths per day nationwide in the U.S. The University of Washington IHME projections (which are the ones everyone has followed and typically have been gloom and doom) are projecting a drop to 258,000 new infections and 150 deaths per day on March 2nd. By May 1st they are projecting amazing numbers (25,000 new infections/6 deaths per day). https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

I'm hoping to go if I can work out the travel expenses. The current projections (baring some new variant) are looking really good. We currently are running around 2,150,000 new infections and 1,500 deaths per day nationwide in the U.S. The University of Washington IHME projections (which are the ones everyone has followed and typically have been gloom and doom) are projecting a drop to 258,000 new infections and 150 deaths per day on March 2nd. By May 1st they are projecting amazing numbers (25,000 new infections/6 deaths per day). https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend
FYI, 258,000 new infections per day is about where we were at the end of July 2021 before Delta started cranking up when things were feeling pretty safe. The lowest rate we have seen since Covid arrived was 46,000 per day in June of 2021. So 25,000 per day would be a fantastic new low.

And I'd expect to be turned away upon arrival - Kansas has the highest rate of infection and transmission in the USA as of the other day. I've had my 3x shots but I don't feel invincible and I'm old enough with a couple of comorbidities that going out with less than an N95 mask is not an option.

Last week I spent 2 hours in the middle of an audience, running follow spot for a comedy show. Sold out show, only 40% of the audience wearing masks. This was a not safe for the audience or any worker in the auditorium. No matter what.

There's no way I'm going to a trade show and the technical panels can/should be live streamed with Q&A.

I'm waiting to decide, will make a decision next week. Masked up and driving, still won't get on a plane.

And I'd expect to be turned away upon arrival - Kansas has the highest rate of infection and transmission in the USA as of the other day. I've had my 3x shots but I don't feel invincible and I'm old enough with a couple of comorbidities that going out with less than an N95 mask is not an option.

Last week I spent 2 hours in the middle of an audience, running follow spot for a comedy show. Sold out show, only 40% of the audience wearing masks. This was a not safe for the audience or any worker in the auditorium. No matter what.

There's no way I'm going to a trade show and the technical panels can/should be live streamed with Q&A.
Up here, north of little Donnie's walls, I received my 4th injection at 10:19 this morning.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I wore an N95 the entire time I was out at LDI (on the plane, anywhere I went, etc.), and still managed to catch Omnicron. You have to take it off to eat/drink, and it's not called an N100... so....there's that. Keep healthy everyone!

I'll probably go this year, it's probably safer there in Baltimore with the convention precautions than it is working and teaching down here in Florida with unmasked/unvaccinated students, employees & audiences

/sigh

I'll be there representing ControlBooth as well as ProAdv/VLS. Also thankful to not have to fly to get there.

Once again, I’ll probably wait till next year. :cry:

Not going.
My mother-in-law had a stroke last summer and we are now giving her 24 hour care. I can't afford it.
Waiting for the updates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back