The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Vanta Black

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by bobgaggle, Jan 11, 2018.

1. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    Did a search and was surprised I didn't see any results on this topic. New material that's the blackest of black. Pretty amazing. Apparently there's a spray on version that's almost as black. Maybe in a few years it'll be viable for use in our industry. I can imagine designers will go crazy for it

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/world/vantablack-blackest-black-material/index.html

2. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Reminds me of the jokes we used to make about using "Lumen Suck" when we were getting spill or Halation from a fixture; "Oh just spray it down with Lumen Suck, it'll be fine. "

3. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    In the can next to the "'sabine suck" for sound.

Van likes this.
  4. sk8rsdad

sk8rsdad Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

It was discussed but I don't remember when. The material is not practical for theatrical use for all sorts of reasons.

5. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

I've been keeping an ear on coverage of Vantablack in a number of press venues. So far, I haven't heard anything that suggests that anyone has, y'know, *plans* to do something with it that would mesh with what most of us want it for...

but I gather the people working on it know we're here, and that we'd like them to eventually end up there, if they can come up with something that won't cause us respiratory scoliosis... or whatever condition graphene monotube fragments would cause. :)

6. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Minion CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack/faqs

Probably not for us yet.

7. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Can you imagine the respiratory havoc that billions or trillions of carbon nanotubes in the over-spray could cause?

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. sk8rsdad

sk8rsdad Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Imagine for a moment that it didn't have any health and safety issues related to application. There's still the problem of keeping it pristine since any dust or dirt would be far more reflective, ruining the effect.

Assuming you could keep it pristine there's the issue of using it as a surface that an actor might come in contact with. Assuming it works as advertised it would be extremely difficult to judge distance, see corners or curves, or any other visual cues that might be useful to move around without tripping or slamming into things.

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. kicknargel

kicknargel Well-Known Member

Right, but you can just stick a bunch of glow tape on it. Problem solved.

RonHebbard and Van like this.
  10. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    Or glitter.

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. Isaac "Moss" Norman

Isaac "Moss" Norman Member

Vanta Black I imagine, would of had an interesting future in the theatre industry. However the rights to use and create it have been bought out by artist Anish Kapoor. Besides because of the way its made it has limited scenery applications because the carbon nano tubes are easily broken or damaged by contact. They might have had a future in lining interior parts of lighting fixtures but like I said Kapoor makes that near impossible. A different alternative is Black 2.0, the world flattest blackest paint not made from nano tubes. Thus it can withstand contact from other objects. Its not quite as good but it, regardless of whether or not Vanta black rights were avalible, is heck-a-lot cheaper and more versatile.

Black 2.0 website:

https://culturehustle.com/products/...orld-s-mattest-flattest-blackest-art-material

12. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman

HAHAHA quote from the website:
    • "Not available to Anish Kapoor"
    and

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE: this is not the blackest black in the world. It is however a better black than the blackest black in the world as it is actually usable by artists.

*Except Anish Kapoor

and

*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

TheaterEd likes this.