Control/Dimming Vari-Lite VL1000 with Ion

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
I am working on a show with a couple Vari•lite 1000's and an Ion, and when I have the Vl's set to a specific spot on stage, and then bring up one of my subs and the Vl's move back to their home position. Do you know why?

Thanks,
Chase Hausman

Heya,

Yes. The problem is filters, with the ION you need to filter the Pan and Tilt to a submaster for them to go where you want them to, but also note that if you sellect all the lights and filter them tneh whatever positon they are in when you record the Sub they will go there when you put it up. i am still trying to work a way where only selected ones move when in needed instead of the whole rig.

Hope that helps

Tim

just to back my last post up, the Filters are to the side of the CIA on the ION screen, just click on the pan and tilt then record the Sub, but remember to clear the filters when you are done or it can get very messy :)

I don't believe you understood correctly, I had this problem with Mac 550's on the ion when I was programing. It happened when I recorded house lights to a sub-master and they were in their home position. It ended up recording the move to home to the sub-master and every time i would bring up the house lights from that sub they would move to home. I never did track down a fix to the problem but I bet the manual could shed some light on how to exclude fixtures from certain subs.

I don't believe you understood correctly, I had this problem with Mac 550's on the ion when I was programing. It happened when I recorded house lights to a sub-master and they were in their home position. It ended up recording the move to home to the sub-master and every time i would bring up the house lights from that sub they would move to home. I never did track down a fix to the problem but I bet the manual could shed some light on how to exclude fixtures from certain subs.

Yes, that is wht is happening. I'll have the Vls on an alcove for example, and if I bring up the sub for my FOH blue, the Vari other moves to home. And the movements are proportional to the handle position.

Yes, that is wht is happening. I'll have the Vls on an alcove for example, and if I bring up the sub for my FOH blue, the Vari other moves to home. And the movements are proportional to the handle position.

In this case you will need to re-record the house light sub with the VL's in the position you want and then have another sub with the same position in but without the house lights, before youbring the house lights down bring up the VL movment only sub and then bring down the house light sub, this will only bring down the intensity (and movement if useing movers) of the house lights.

Tim that really isn't solving the problem again go to the manual and look at the section about subs and recording them. I would pull the exact reference but I'm at home and don't have the manual with me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Just had a scroll through the online PDF manual and found this....

Independent
You can also set a submaster to “independent”, allowing submaster values to remain unaffected by other submasters or playback fader instructions. They will, however, still be impacted by manual control, grandmaster, blackout, park instructions, or other play faders and submasters on independent.
Inhibitive subs can not be set as independent
To toggle a submaster between independent “on” or “off”
· [7] {independent} [Enter]

hope that helps

Tim

It sounds like you have correctly identified that the positions were recorded into your submasters. The fix is quite simple however. In Blind, select the submaster with the errant data by pressing n [Enter]. Then select either the entire channel or just the errant parameters you wish to remove and before you hit enter, press the {Make Null} softkey. Then press [Enter] to execute the command. This will remove the data from the submaster and thus stop your VLs from moving unintentionally.

Disclaimer: I am sending this from an airport gate waiting area. Please excuse any lapses in memory.

It sounds like you have correctly identified that the positions were recorded into your submasters. The fix is quite simple however. In Blind, select the submaster with the errant data by pressing n [Enter]. Then select either the entire channel or just the errant parameters you wish to remove and before you hit enter, press the {Make Null} softkey. Then press [Enter] to execute the command. This will remove the data from the submaster and thus stop your VLs from moving unintentionally.

Disclaimer: I am sending this from an airport gate waiting area. Please excuse any lapses in memory.

To remove content from "non-cue" record targets, you can also select the channels and the parameters you want to remove and just press [at] [Enter] - in blind.

Filters are a great way to control what is stored to targets, especially for repetitive record tasks (such as building a series of beam palettes where only a specific parameter is required in the palette, but other parameters are in use (such as edge).

For a one-off record, you can also use selective storing.
channel list intensity record [target] - stores just the intensity
channel list - intensity record [target] - stores all parameters other than intensity - following the rules for record and record only.

Record: stores all parameters of any lights that are in use (as modified by selective storing)
Record Only: stores only manual data (as modified by selective storing).

If you don't quite know why some value ends up on stage, if you go to the about display and select your channels, you'll get a list of the current source of each parameter in that channel.

Hope that helps!
a

I had this issue too, I knew the ION really really well last year at this time, It is the filters, Make sure you mask you parameters and you can change the mode of you sub, you can make it a effect sub, or a master or whatever. Youll need to look in the manual for the details, I use that console once a year so at the begging of june I start doing the offline thing to catch up on my programming but ill be honest, That console is weird when it comes to subs, I have used Hog, GrandMa, Avolites and the ION I found the most difficult

Sorry to bring this up again, but here's a sure fire way to solve this problem:
Select the channels that you want to record into the sub. Without hitting enter, hit [Record] # [Enter].

Here it is summed up:
Ch. # [+] Ch. # [+] etc. [Record] Sub # [Enter]
DO NOT HIT ENTER AND THEN [RECORD] #. That will record every channel into the sub, including 0's in my experience.

Sorry to bring this up again, but here's a sure fire way to solve this problem:
Select the channels that you want to record into the sub. Without hitting enter, hit [Record] # [Enter].

Here it is summed up:
Ch. # [+] Ch. # [+] etc. [Record] Sub # [Enter]
DO NOT HIT ENTER AND THEN [RECORD] #. That will record every channel into the sub, including 0's in my experience.

That would have saved me a lot of trouble I think! [-]What I ended up doing was going sub by sub in blind, and selecting those channels, and recording them...[/-]. I don't know a better way then to just give you the syntax for what I did,

(in blind) "(channel #) [at] [enter]"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just wanted to throw in my two cents here. I recently had problem recording cues where most of my cues would include house lights. Earlier I had to program while people were working so I couldn't just kill everything. Accidentally recorded house lights into everything. Best solution=Program when nothing else is on. You were probably just selecting the varilites while programming he sub. I saw lots "program with the varilites at the posistion you want" kind of things and I've never worked with that specific brand, but I have S4 revolutions and all it takes is not selecting them. I guess it will depend somewhat on what kind of board you have, though.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents here. I recently had problem recording cues where most of my cues would include house lights. Earlier I had to program while people were working so I couldn't just kill everything. Accidentally recorded house lights into everything. Best solution=Program when nothing else is on. You were probably just selecting the varilites while programming he sub. I saw lots "program with the varilites at the posistion you want" kind of things and I've never worked with that specific brand, but I have S4 revolutions and all it takes is not selecting them. I guess it will depend somewhat on what kind of board you have, though.

When thats the case I usually leave the house lights on in the Unison system that way they are not recorded into cues.

When thats the case I usually leave the house lights on in the Unison system that way they are not recorded into cues.

Can't you also set subs to be independent or exclusive ( I can't remember which) so they aren't recorded in? I think exclusive is what I'm thinking of. I know it was in the last update (1.7)

Can't you also set subs to be independent or exclusive ( I can't remember which) so they aren't recorded in? I think exclusive is what I'm thinking of. I know it was in the last update (1.7)

That would be exclusive - which is effectively a record - sub operation. Even better, the sub could be set to "shielded" - which means you can't mistakenly grab control of those lights via manual control (automatically exclusive and inherently independent as contents of shielded subs can only be overridden by park commands).

Hope that helps.

Anne Valentino
ETC

I don't know if this is possible on an Ion, but on a Strand 300/500 Series you can record a cue/sub/group with or without any attributes you specify. So you can record the color, Gobo and Position but no Intensity, or the other way around. Is this possible in the recording syntax?

The Strand Syntax would be

[Record][Cue][1][Channel #]{Atts Only}{Color}{Position}{Beam}

I don't know if this is possible on an Ion, but on a Strand 300/500 Series you can record a cue/sub/group with or without any attributes you specify. So you can record the color, Gobo and Position but no Intensity, or the other way around. Is this possible in the recording syntax?

The Strand Syntax would be

[Record][Cue][1][Channel #]{Atts Only}{Color}{Position}{Beam}

On Eos family products:
- Intensity Record target
Focus Color Beam Record target

In addition to selective storing and filtering, please remember that you have a record only button. Record will take the entire state of any channels that are in use, including the parameters that are homed (grey) or have data coming from another playback. Record Only stores only the manual values.

Hope that helps.
a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back