VARILITE Series 300 Protocol

spacecraft

I'm working on a very ambitious project. I'm trying to get a VARILITE VL6 working for fun. I do not have a Smart Repeater or DMX Power Pack (which would solve all my problems) so I'm trying to make my own. I know the fixture runs on 24VDC, the lamp power is passed through to the fixture, and the fixture is controlled by Series 300 protocol from the Smart Repeater/DMX Power Pack via RS-485. The 24VDC and lamp power is easy to make up. The series 300 protocol is where things get difficult.

I am aware Series 300 protocol is bi-directional, meaning there are some communication on fixture tests, fixture settings, and finally parameter control. From the VARILITE wiki, series 300 protocol is based on series 200 protocol.

I have an old VL1 service manual that actually shows the protocol timing chart. I attached the manual section for the curious.

Is there any equivalent diagrams or further info available on the series 300 protocol? Do any of you nice people know anymore? I believe PRG currently owns the series 300 patents as they operate a lot of VL5s and VL6cs. Should I try to contact them? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Varilite - VL1 Service Manual (Comm Section).pdf
    817.3 KB · Views: 567
I'm working on a very ambitious project. I'm trying to get a VARILITE VL6 working for fun. I do not have a Smart Repeater or DMX Power Pack (which would solve all my problems) so I'm trying to make my own. I know the fixture runs on 24VDC, the lamp power is passed through to the fixture, and the fixture is controlled by Series 300 protocol from the Smart Repeater/DMX Power Pack via RS-485. The 24VDC and lamp power is easy to make up. The series 300 protocol is where things get difficult.

I am aware Series 300 protocol is bi-directional, meaning there are some communication on fixture tests, fixture settings, and finally parameter control. From the VARILITE wiki, series 300 protocol is based on series 200 protocol.

I have an old VL1 service manual that actually shows the protocol timing chart. I attached the manual section for the curious.

Is there any equivalent diagrams or further info available on the series 300 protocol? Do any of you nice people know anymore? I believe PRG currently owns the series 300 patents as they operate a lot of VL5s and VL6cs. Should I try to contact them? Thanks in advance

Hi spacecraft,

Contact me at [email protected]. I have some VL Series 300 info for you...
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back