Design VectorWorks 2008 Printing Problem

Sony

This isn't a new problem but I've just been dealing with it until now because it hasn't mattered.

So I've been using VectorWorks 2008 for the last year and I'm trying to print out my Plot for the latest show I'm doing which is The Women of Lockerbie. For some reason the line weights are so thin on Accessories like Scrollers and Moving Yokes that when it tries to print it out that it can't properly do it. It doesn't print them properly and lines are missing because they are so thin. I don't know whats wrong, up until now I've Exported to PDF at 300 DPI and printed the PDF file which has helped quite a bit but it's still screwy.

My Printer is a Espon Stylus Photo 1400 wide format printer and it can print up to 13"x19". It's resolution can be up to 5760x1440 DPI.

I've tried everything i can think of, including going into Print Options and jacking the resolution all the way up on the printer to Fine. All these things have helped...but nothing has completely solved the issues.

I've gotten to the point where it will print anything that is on a perfectly horizontal or vertical plane but will have difficulty printing anything that is at an angle.

I've attached a picture of the problem

As you can see...the moving yoke is missing a few lines and the scroller that is supposed to be on the fixture down and left of it is almost completely missing.

Thanks for your help guys!

Attachments

• printing problems.jpg
    printing problems.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 538
To me, it looks like a printer/paper issue. I've been using 2008 for awhile and have never seen this.

For the record, I have a strong dislike for Epson Printers. Have you tried cleaning the print heads? In my experience with Epson printers they seem to have a useful life, beyond which you can never get the heads clean enough to print well (fundamental flaw in built in heads). Second, are you sure that the line weight is actually heavy enough to print? Compared to the strip lights in your picture I would think so, but it may be worth checking out. Also make sure that you don't have any class settings that change the line weights for printing.

For the record, I have a strong dislike for Epson Printers. Have you tried cleaning the print heads? In my experience with Epson printers they seem to have a useful life, beyond which you can never get the heads clean enough to print well (fundamental flaw in built in heads). Second, are you sure that the line weight is actually heavy enough to print? Compared to the strip lights in your picture I would think so, but it may be worth checking out. Also make sure that you don't have any class settings that change the line weights for printing.

The printer is almost brand spanking new and it's done this ever since I got it. Epson printers are fine as long as you use it enough. Leaving it sit for months at a time is what clogs the heads although I do know where you are coming from. I've had bigger issues with HP...they just seem to hate me for some reason.

are you running mac or PC. If mac go to tools>options>VW preferences>display and toggle quartz imaging.
If PC> tools>options>VW preferences>display> toggle GDI+ imaging
I hope this helps, if not contact Vectorworks technical support at 410-290-5114 or [email protected]

Juan P.

I'm using a PC

Thanks I'll try that!

Nope...that didn't work all it did was screw up the transparency of certain objects and made it look all ugly.

@icewolf08 could you elaborate on the class making it print different size lines? I'm still fairly new to Vectorworks...haven't gotten that far yet.

When you set up classes in the Organization window, you can specify if a class uses a given line weight. You can also tell it if the class should use that weight when you create an object (the use at creation checkbox). Normally I think if you give an object a line weight from the tool palette it should stick, but it may be possible that the class line weight is overriding. I haven't played too much with these features (I just have a set of line weights that I use for almost everything), so I could be totally wrong.

When you set up classes in the Organization window, you can specify if a class uses a given line weight. You can also tell it if the class should use that weight when you create an object (the use at creation checkbox). Normally I think if you give an object a line weight from the tool palette it should stick, but it may be possible that the class line weight is overriding. I haven't played too much with these features (I just have a set of line weights that I use for almost everything), so I could be totally wrong.

Okay I tried messing with that but it doesn't seem to affect the line weights of Symbols and Instruments, only the line weights of Walls and Lines.

I really hope it isn't the printer...This is the best printer I have ever used and it prints amazing photos which is what I use it for mostly. It's main use is to print posters and production photos.

The only way to change the line weights of any symbol and lighting instrument with VW Spotlight is to edit the symbol and change the line weight. To edit a symbol, double-click on a symbol placed within a drawing, then select to edit the 2D Insertion Options.

Don't forget! you MUST EXIT the editing of the symbol, via a tiny, little, very easy to miss, rectangular button in the top right of the screen. For a good line weight that will show, use a line weight of 6 (in Points). My scale of line weights are 1, 6, 12, 20, and 32. They have the best dynamic contrast when printed via PDF.

Good Luck!

The only way to change the line weights of any symbol and lighting instrument with VW Spotlight is to edit the symbol and change the line weight. To edit a symbol, double-click on a symbol placed within a drawing, then select to edit the 2D Insertion Options.

Don't forget! you MUST EXIT the editing of the symbol, via a tiny, little, very easy to miss, rectangular button in the top right of the screen. For a good line weight that will show, use a line weight of 6 (in Points). My scale of line weights are 1, 6, 12, 20, and 32. They have the best dynamic contrast when printed via PDF.

Good Luck!

I'm trying to double click the symbols in my plot and there is no 2D Insertion Options option. I'm on a PC and using VectorWorks 2008. Do you have a different version? Maybe it's different in your version.

I am using it on the Mac.
Try this:

select the symbol, and right-click. You should be able to select an Edit option. Then the 2D Insertion Options screen should pop up.

Have you inserted the lighting symbol as a lighting instrument with the lighting instrument insertion tool or as a 2D symbol with the symbol insertion tool? It affects how the symbol responds to certain commands in VW.

I am using it on the Mac.
Try this:

select the symbol, and right-click. You should be able to select an Edit option. Then the 2D Insertion Options screen should pop up.

Have you inserted the lighting symbol as a lighting instrument with the lighting instrument insertion tool or as a 2D symbol with the symbol insertion tool? It affects how the symbol responds to certain commands in VW.

Tried that too and there is no 2S Insertion Option there ether.

I've been inserting them using the Lighting Instrument tool because I do use the Key to Instrumentation option to keep Inventory.

HA! Thanks man I figured it out! You can't insert it as a Lighting Instrument if you want to edit the symbol. You have to just plain insert it as a 2D Object. The good news is editing a 2D Object will also edit all the lighting instruments you inserted. Thanks man this has helped a ton!

You have to right click on the symbol inside of the resource browser and pick the edit option and then select the 2D component, aka not on the plot.

After you have edited the symbol, refresh your instruments so the changes will take place on anything that you have already inserted.

Thanks guys! I fixed all my issues by just editing the symbols!

Now I have another question...how do I get Vectorworks to print out my Instrument Schedule and Color Scedule and all that stuff. I can view it but when I view it it just comes up in what looks like an Excel window but has no Printing Options anywhere...not even any options at all.

There is a tiny little arrow facing down in the Top left of the window. It will be a drop down menu, where one of the options should be print. That should get you done.

But word to the wise: Be careful of the size of the text, font, etc. Because what you see on the screen is NOT ALWAYS what you get printed out. Hence why most people like to export their paperwork to Lightwright. However, with a little patience and a few trees, you can format your paperwork to print correctly.

Note: This is not a preference that can be set in VW, and therefore you will have to format every time you create new paperwork (even when creating an update of a schedule or hookup within a drawing)

Good Luck!

ha! awesome thanks bro! You guys rock! I would have never noticed that silly little arrow.

Hi; your printer is fine. it is the symbol line weight that is the problem. it does not matter if you are on PC or mac.

if you're working in spotlight, then you must edit the symbol from within the resource browser. if you are working in autoplot (AutoPlotVW Home Page), then you can just double-click on the thin-lined symbol in the document.

1. select the name of the symbol in the resource browser (RB).
2. above that, there is the word "resources". on the right side, a black triangle. click on the triangle.
3. select "edit".
4. select "2d component.
5. select polygon. change to darker line weight. you might also change the fill to white if you wish.
6. click on "exit symbol" to return to the drawing.

you might also consider examining the Vectorworks 2009 by Nemetschek North America - Realize Your Most Inspired Visions web site. it has lots of forums, how to's, and quicktime movies.

if you want better looking symbols that have accurate (or in some cases, any) data, check out Field Templates&#8482: THE Source for Theatrical Lighting Symbols!.

contact me directly OL if you still have symbol line weight editing problems.

hth,

shelley
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back