VectorWorks 3D Extruded Hatching

Wolf

Hello all,

I am having some difficultly trying to do what I would like to do.

I have a 3D extruded cube and I would like to make it so that it is a see through Mesh, is this possible to do? The only way I've found to do more than a color is to go into the object info box and go to render to texture and those are all fill ins. Can I add something to that? and and it be see through?

Im using VectorWorks 2011 by the way

Thanks for all the help

You should be able to do this with textures, but it's a bit complicated. In the resource browser, create a new texture. (click the triangle to the right of resources, then new resource>vectorworks texture.) Under transparency there are some standard patterns that might work for you. Or you can create your mesh as an image file in a draw program, and use "image mask" or "image projector" (I don't remember the difference) and select the image file you used. This basically lays a filter over the image's color, so that parts are transparent and parts aren't. Color could be object attribute, or your image file, or whatever.

Then select your object, and in the info palate render tab select your texture. You may need to mess with the scale, mapping etc.

If you look in the texture libraries, there's a perforated metal texture that does this for an example.

Let me know if you need more help.

You should be able to do this with textures, but it's a bit complicated. In the resource browser, create a new texture. (click the triangle to the right of resources, then new resource>vectorworks texture.) Under transparency there are some standard patterns that might work for you. Or you can create your mesh as an image file in a draw program, and use "image mask" or "image projector" (I don't remember the difference) and select the image file you used. This basically lays a filter over the image's color, so that parts are transparent and parts aren't. Color could be object attribute, or your image file, or whatever.

Then select your object, and in the info palate render tab select your texture. You may need to mess with the scale, mapping etc.

If you look in the texture libraries, there's a perforated metal texture that does this for an example.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much! That did it!

I may post a new thread for this since you may be the only person who sees it but, How would I insert a vertical piece of truss?

Thank you very much! That did it!

I may post a new thread for this since you may be the only person who sees it but, How would I insert a vertical piece of truss?

For VW Spotlight 2011 (I, believe, 2010 was the same, can someone confirm?):

Hang the truss horizontally like normal to your specifications, then go to the Object info pane --> Hanging Angle, it's towards the bottom.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back