Vectorworks and Template Symbols

So I am working on a plot that needs a template in a 19 degree ERS. I am currently utilizing the default USITT Symbols available in Vectorworks but can only find a template on a fixture noted as a 36 degree ERS (pictured below). The 19 degree is denoted with a "X" on the barrel. I was looking at purchasing SoftSymbols, but wasn't sure if they were worth the investment.

https://imgur.com/a/EBCmB

Does anyone else heavily utilize USITT Lighting Graphic Standard and if so do they have any tips or tricks?[/img]

So, what you really want to be doing is inserting the templates as an accessory. If there isn't already a symbol for it floating around in the default libraries all you need to do is create an appropriately sized circle, set the fill to black, and then convert it to a symbol.

The Lighting Accessory tool allows you to insert accessories (these are really just symbols with information) onto instruments and it ties the accessory to the instrument. When you move the instrument, the accessory will come with it. It also can create a line item in your paperwork for you.

You can read up on how to use it all here:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/VW2017_Guide/LightingDesign1/Adding_Accessories.htm

you can also make a duplicate of the 19 degree symbol and add a black circle to it for those you need Templates in. are you just working in 2D or also 3D? if you are working in 3D and want accurate rendering, you really should use the manufacturer libraries.

Hi Brandon;

If you perform a search within the vectorworks resource manager [vw2017 and above] you'll see a number of "Light Acc... Template Holder"s. These are all default gobos, and will insert as static accessories. Double-click in the RM to select the Temp holder of your choice, click once in the desired symbol, click a second time to define which way you want the static accessory to face, and click a third time **on** the symbol, in order to select it as the host. The Temp Holder will now be a static accessory assigned to that symbol.

<shameless_self-promotion>

Now, as for SoftSymbols, I'll state for the record that I'm the designer for the entire product line. I illustrated the RP-5 Graphic Standard for USITT, and wrote some amount of the written text included in the standard. After the standard was released, i overhauled the illustrated document to create the SoftSymbol USITT Object library.

The Vw version has been significantly updated over the years; the resources now contain 3D components that are properly pointed straight down, and the pieces inside appear to be properly assigned to the Parts Record - in any 3D view, a lighting device automatically rotates and aims towards an assigned Spotlight Focus Point.

That said, there is still an extensive amount of data missing from any of the Light Info Records; in my brief review of the Vw2018 library, there is still no beam or field degree information, no weight, no color frame size, and no information whatsoever in the LIRM. This means you can't really turn light beams on and observe how big the cone of light that will be projected; you don't know how much weight will be loaded on any Lighting Position; you won't be able to calculate the number of sheets of gel required for each color [unless you fill in the default data in Lightwright]; and you can't accurately calculate weight or gel count in a metric environment.

On top of that, in order to view resources of the Vw version, you are forced to paste in a sample of each resource in the document, just to see how it looks - or you're forced to search through the Resource Manager to look for what you want, rather than just scanning the document. Finally, if you want a reference document to show you all the graphic choices, you have to turn on and print each page one at a time, since all the layers of lights are on top of one another.

Last, the Nemetschek version covers the basic food groups of lighting instruments, but doesn't really contain many of the accessories contained in the RP-5 Graphic Standard. The SoftSymbols contains every one of them.

I invite you to take a look at the pdf of the entire library to fully examine what is contained in the library, allowing you to make a full comparison between the two libraries. The cost of the SoftSymbols USITT Object Library is only $20, approximately the cost for four cups of Starbucks coffee.

Please contact me off-list should you have any further questions.

</shameless_self-promotion>

Steve Shelley
Designer, SoftSymbols
www.fieldtemplate.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back