Vectorworks Issue

zac850

Hey Guys and Gals,
So, there I was at my computer. I opened up vectorworks, and my entire screen had this obnoxious grid of dots all over it. Crap. So I went to turn the grid off, and saw that it was. So I went to resize the grid, and nothing changed. And I zoomed in on the page, and the grid looked exactly the same.

Then I started thinking that it wasn't a grid and some other issue. Then Vectorworks and I had a fight. Then Vectorworks won the fight. So I tried to print, thinking that it was just a display issue, and the grid printed on top of placed objects but NOT over blank white space. Then I fought with Vectorworks for a bit longer. Then Vectorworks won again.

It's at roughly this point that I decided to call for reinforcements. So here I am. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh, yea, Mac OS 10.5.1, Vectorworks 11.0.0

Attachments

• vectorworks issue.jpg
    vectorworks issue.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 461
A) What's your scale?
B) Is it the Snap grid dots?

The pic is a little fuzzy and they look more like lines than dots...but my guess would be to look at your snap grid options.

The screen shot is of a new window.

It happens in any window I open, including older plots that use to work. Usually my plots are in half inch scale.

I suppose that is an important thing to mention. I open old files that shouldn't have this grid on, and they all have this dot grid on it. So it needs to be a system or app setting, not a file setting.

And I don't think its a snap grid because I've turned the snap grid off, and whenever I change the snap grid size, nothing changes.

Thanks,
Zac

So in Page/Set Grid the grid options are both unchecked...hmmm...

Have you tried opening the file on another copy of Vectorworks?

If you want I'd be willing to give it a try.

In Page->Set Grid I can't uncheck the Reference Grid or Snap Grid settings (I uncheck it and when I next open the window they are still checked). However, I have Show Grid Lines and Print Grid Lines unchecked.

Yep, and minus having some version issues and font issues (from my mac with v.11 to a PC with v.12.5) it all worked.

I've never used the grid function in Vectorworks, so I don't know if the fact that I can't un-select those settings is a new issue.

Thanks

On your mac it could be a corrupt preferences file. Try deleting the preference files for VW. (Macintosh HD>Users>(your user folder)>Library>Preferences) Make sure you have your serial number handy as this may cause it to ask for one again, but it may help your problem.

Good thought, but didn't work. I trashed all the preference files associated with Vectorworks (there were 2 that I found) and same issue.

Really odd issue. I've looked through the entire app, can't find anything that would make this happen, and I can't find any way to turn it off.

Out of curiosity, what version of MacOS are you running? It is also worth checking the Vectorworks forums on the Nemetschek website, they have lots of people who know a lot about the program, someone might be able to help you there.

zac850 said:
Mac OS 10.5.1, Vectorworks 11.0.0

I honestly don't remember if this has worked since I upgraded to 10.5, but I have a feeling that it did (but I don't know what file I would have opened on it, so I can't be certain).

I have had a few display glitches in Leopard with VW12, but nothing that affected printing. Mostly it only has affected the rulers.

How about version 11? Is there a known issue?

I have yet to get version 12, though my school has it on their computers.

Open the file there and see if you're having the same issue.

I am having the same problem. I have been using Vectorworks 10.5.1 for years on my mac. I recently updated my operating system to OS 10.5.5(Leopard). Opened drawing the other day to work on it and say the same funny background you saw.
I switched my background to black in hopes that it would just go away. it sorta, kinda did? I had to zoom in, then zoom out and I had a solid background. The sorta part is that it printed like poop.
I looked at every possible thing it could be. I checked the grid, the snap options, layers, etc. Nothing worked. I then installed it on my laptop that also runs on OS 10.5.5 hoping that maybe it was just my desktop. NOPE! Same issue. My next hope was to install it on an older mac that was still operating on Tiger. IT WORKED!!!
Somewhere there is a glitch in the compatibility between older Vectorworks and Leopard. I reported the glitch to Vectorworks. If I hear anything back I will let you know.

JS

You might consider upgrading your vectorworks to v12 or 2008 or 2009 now that it is available. Remember that a lot of things have changes under the hood of OSX from the time that VW10.5 was released (it was over 7 years ago), it doesn't surprise me at all that there are compatibility issues now with Leopard.

I occasionally experience a similar issue with VW 12.5 and OS 10.5.5, after I've been working on the file for some time. I save the file, reboot the machine, and the problem usually does not recur, leading me to suspect it's some sort of memory-leak issue.

Ice makes a valid point: if possible, always use the most recent version of software and operating system. Upgrading is a necessary evil.

Since upgrading to VW 2008 I haven't had a problem. Currently running VW 2008 with 10.5.5 with no issues. (knock on wood)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back