Vectorworks Legend/Container Problem

cvdub

I'm using Vectorworks 2010 and I'm having a problem with the label legend. As I assign a label legend (and I get it correctly laid out and oriented,) and select my channel to be in the circle container, the channel shows up in the proper place, but the circle container will appear at a random place on the plot--nowhere near where it should be. This is strange because it seems to me that the circle should be in the same correct position that the channel is. Also, I cannot individually select the container and move it to it's proper place. In fact, I cannot select just the channel or color to move them without selecting the instrument as well. I've used this method many times to offset channels slightly from underneath other instruments to be read, but I am building the plot off of the scenic designer's groundplan file. IS there perhaps an unknown setting that is causing these problems? Thanks in advance!

You are marking the circle container for channel in the label legend manager, correct? You don't actually have to create the circle, this is the case for at least VW 2011 and 2012...

I used to have this happen to me a number of times, and I could never figure out what the issue was. My temporary fix was to just move the Channel field in the label legend until it looked right on the plot, but it looked completely wrong in the label legend itself - just look and adjust until it is right. I haven't had this happen to me in a while, but if you do figure it out, please post it here!

You can also try using a different container.

I elongated my circle to allow for a 3 digit number. I created the circle using the draw a circle tool, adjusted for line weight, etc.. then saved it as a new symbol in the Container folder, with a new name (Ch. Circ). When I created the label legend, in the Edit Fields section I selected the new channel container.

Also try a refresh instruments and/or a re-assignment of the label legend to the assorted units using that legend.

I think I can get the containers to line up with a little trial and error on placement within the layout. Unfortunately, the containers are showing up 30'-40' (1/4" = 1'-0") from where they should so it will take a lot of work to get right.

I originally rotated the file before working (I might have rotated all of the individual layers but I think I remember finding a way to rotate the entire workspace although I can't find it now) so that might have something to do with it.

I can work around some of these things with a little extra time, but my biggest problem it that I cannot individually select and move certain parts of the legend (channel, color, gobo, ect.) I like to plot my instruments with some directionality instead of straight vertical or horizontal so that I can immediately look at the plot and know the purpose of a fixture, but some of my legends (I've tried right-reading and non-rotating options) are overlapped with others. It is frustrating me that I cannot simply select the channel and relocate it to a visible spot without grabbing the entire instrument. Is this is 2010 thing? I know I could do it on 2009.

I'm using Vectorworks 2010 and I'm having a problem with the label legend. As I assign a label legend (and I get it correctly laid out and oriented,) and select my channel to be in the circle container, the channel shows up in the proper place, but the circle container will appear at a random place on the plot--nowhere near where it should be. This is strange because it seems to me that the circle should be in the same correct position that the channel is. Also, I cannot individually select the container and move it to it's proper place. In fact, I cannot select just the channel or color to move them without selecting the instrument as well. I've used this method many times to offset channels slightly from underneath other instruments to be read, but I am building the plot off of the scenic designer's groundplan file. IS there perhaps an unknown setting that is causing these problems? Thanks in advance!

Which version of QuickTime are you using?

VW 2008 will do the same thing, if you are in the spotlight workspace, go to the modify pull-down menu > refresh instruments.

This should fix your problem

I originally rotated the file before working (I might have rotated all of the individual layers but I think I remember finding a way to rotate the entire workspace although I can't find it now) so that might have something to do with it.

That might be the problem. Possibly the X/Y orientation is all screwed up and that can affect everything else.

I'd be posting this on the Vectorworks Spotlight site as well and maybe do a search there.

Vectorworks SPOTLIGHT - Vectorworks Community Board

Users who are viewing this thread

Back