Vectorworks, Lightwright, ,and cabling???

JP12687

Hello, I have anoterh vectorworks question.

This one is, how do you represent cable runs on your designs? and what kind of "paperwork" do you generate to represent cabling on a shop order.

Is there a way to have lightwright generate this paperwork?

Or does everyone just kinda figure it out in their heads and pass it on, as an attached note?

thanks

well from an ME standpoint you can use the gang tool to loosley represent cabling, on my hang cards if i have out of the ordinary cabling i will draw it out, as well as drawing out imports and exports on pipes.... as far as the shop order goes I dont think lighwright will do that, though it will do a two-fer count.... that tends to be a more "as needed" thing depending on venue/how good your electricians are

I normally use the gang tool to help represent two-fers. and i know lightwright can do a "circuit count" thaty includes how many two-fers needed per position.

I was just wondering if theres a better way to do soca runs, because the company i am with now is asking for more detailed cabling paperwork.

you might want to draw it in your section and plot.... its not going to be the most fun to represent.... and will muck up your drawing... but if they want it give it...

I don't use LW as it doesn't graphically show distance.

I usually just create a 2nd version of the main VW plot, giving it a new name "Cable Runs" and just draw in the cables. I hate the 2-fer tool and don't use it. I'll then add text for cable lengths and simply add it up to put into the word file for the shop order.

Nothing fancy, but as my house has raceways, I do it infrequently, usually for the occasional set of dance side towers, and have never needed a more automated method. I image I could create a bunch of symbols - 10ft, 25ft, 50ft. 6 circ/50ft, etc... which could be made into accessories which either VW or LW could count......

SB

SteveB said:
I usually just create a 2nd version of the main VW plot, giving it a new name "Cable Runs" and just draw in the cables.

You do know that you can just put the cableing on its own layer, that way you can turn it off and on as needed.

As for figuring out cable runs unless you have a super precise 3-d drafting of the venue and want to spend forever laying out the runs on the plot picking the exact route you want to use and then explain the precise path to the crew you should just mark the ends of multi runs (I use red or blue triangles with the cable letter in it, red in constant power, blue is dimmer circuits). Once you have the end marked and know where the dimmers are going to live you can measure the length you think you need and add a little extra depending on how precise the intel you have is. If I have complicated runs (cable bridges or the such) then I mark the bridge and list what cables cross it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back