Vectorworks not placing fixtures correctly.

bshock84

Hello, I have been looking everywhere for an answer for this and it's driving me crazy not being able to figure this out.

I am running VW 12.0.1

When I create a truss and convert it to a lighting position object and then try to place a fixture on the truss with the insertion tool it doesn't place it on the actual truss. When I looked in the object information palette it says it's associated with the position object, but the z axis still shows that it is at 0. The truss is at 20' in the air, so when I try to flyover the truss to get a 3d image all the fixtures are still sitting on the ground. Am I just missing something here? I have used VW before without issue, but that was a few years ago (probably obvious from the version I am running ha). Anyway I've been searching for the last couple of hours and I can't find an answer for this. Please help if you can.

Thanks
-- Ben

I don't do a lot of 3D drafting so I am not sure how it is supposed to work, but couldn't you just select all the fixtures and set the z-axis height after they are placed? You should be able to modify all of them at once.

Hello, I have been looking everywhere for an answer for this and it's driving me crazy not being able to figure this out.

I am running VW 12.0.1

When I create a truss and convert it to a lighting position object and then try to place a fixture on the truss with the insertion tool it doesn't place it on the actual truss. When I looked in the object information palette it says it's associated with the position object, but the z axis still shows that it is at 0. The truss is at 20' in the air, so when I try to flyover the truss to get a 3d image all the fixtures are still sitting on the ground. Am I just missing something here? I have used VW before without issue, but that was a few years ago (probably obvious from the version I am running ha). Anyway I've been searching for the last couple of hours and I can't find an answer for this. Please help if you can.

Thanks
-- Ben

Firstly: Vectorworks Community Board - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

That is the vectorworks forums. Very helpful.

It sounds like you aren't setting your z axis. You an manually change that by simply moving it in that control field. But are you doing all this on the same layer?

One thing that could cause this problem is if you set the Z height of the truss prior to making it a lighting position. What you want to do is make the truss at a height of 0 and convert it to a lighting position. Then set the height you want it at.

Last edited:
One thing that could cause this problem is if you set the Z hegith of the truss prior to making it a lighting position. What you want to do is make the truss at a height of 0 and convert it to a lighting position. Then set the height you want it at.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! That's exactly what I was doing wrong. I couldn't find this anywhere. You helped me out a ton.

Thanks!

-- Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back