Vectorworks Spotlight Student

There is a way to get around the no export to prof. version. Export as PDF. Yes, you do loose functionality, but you can still pass the file along for comment and info.

BTW- JUST got off the phone with Vectorworks sales. Versions 13 WILL communicate with Pro copies. The 1 year license student copy WILL print with a Watermark.

Go here for upgrade options for student and teacher copies:

http://www.nemetschek.net/student/

-Chris Chapman
TD, Greenville Performing Arts Center

Last edited:
Yes..but once you open/save its watermarked and can't go back. Its all on the faq/howto behind the link.

yeah well it doesn't matter me i can't get it in OZ
+ i couldn't get the student version because im not in any class that needs it

....you don't have to be in a VW class...or one that requires it...jsut a student. It doesn't really say anything about being in OZ....granted it doesn't really allow you to fill out the form...just tell them you're from Cali..those fool have been trying to convert to the metric system and all sorts of other craziness anyway ((not intended as a shot at anyone from cali))

i suppose getting someone else who is in the US to do it for me would be illegial and bad you see i have a demo version (open but no print, export or save ablity) of 12.5 and all i need is a code, now im not asking for a serial as i am aware that it may be a breach of controlbooth terms of service

Did ya call them and see if they were going to be offering it?

i emailed them and asked and they said it might be coming here in a year or so

which doesn't help me

Well...one of my students finaly got the new fangled 12.52 for free...this is what the watermark looks like for anyone who was curious like me.

Attachments

• Student.jpg
    Student.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,219
That looks amazingly like that AutoCAD Educational Watermark...

Vectorworks student is free. within the program you get you go to tools>workspaces> spotlight. to get it free go to vectorworks student portal register then photocopy a picture of your student ID and upload it to your computer. there will be a link that says request software license and you should be fine from there.

I don't want to 'thread crap' but I must say that as a student who works at a local theatre and asst. manages the school theatres, I don't use Vectorworks at all.

I find that I don't need programs so complex, and most students who are helping can't figure them out, and don't really want to because they aren't going to major in this or do this for a career.

I personally, use Microsoft Excel. I've found that I can enter any information I need any everyone can read it.

Here's my most recent light plot: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-TeotFQ8tYzMWVhYTU3OTQtZmZmZi00NGFjLTkzMTMtODg0N2UwZWM0ZGRm

It was done on Excel and very simple.

...It was done on Excel and very simple.
Hey whatever works for you. I've been known to generate plots very similar to yours, also using Excel.

However, there is something to be said for learning to conform to professional standards for those WHO DO wish to make entertainment lighting their career. For example, I would never include one of your plots in a portfolio, UNLESS also accompanied by a VW/AutoCAD/WYSIWYG/Hand-Drafted "traditional" plot with USITT-standard symbols, etc. YMMV.

I would go even further as to say including paperwork generated in LightWright4 or 5. Here in Philadelphia, a fundamental understanding of Vectorworks and porting information, automatically or manually, into LightWright4 or 5 is essential if one wishes to be more than an electrician. As a designer, all ME's here expect plots generated in Vectorworks, or at least some program they have access to some viewer for. If you don't use Spotlight expect some irritation on their part, as properly converting symbols to instruments can end up taking some time. LightWright 4 and 5 are pretty much where all paperwork comes from. If you have issues with VW, try LXFree. It is designed to be hand drafting on the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back