Vectorworks Spotlight Student

TupeloTechie

I am going to be a junior high school and I am wanting to purchase Vectorworks Spotlight (student license)

I need to know a few things before I buy,

Am I allowed to get the student discount in high school, or does it only apply to students enrolled in universitys?

If I am allowed to get it, will it quit working after after I graduate high school, or will I be able to keep the license through college with out having to re-purchase or upgrade? Also will it work after college?

I believe that I can only buy the 'Designer' pack with a student discount, and it includes spotlight, or is there a way to buy just spotlight(with student discount)?

What are the differences between the student version and the pro version other than the dongle?

Do I buy it through vectorworks, or an online store such as this one, http://www.macroenter.com/VectorWorks_p/2nn-p1-new-crmz-st.htm, and whats the best online store to purchase it from?

Thanks in advance!

I'll tell you what I know, from dealing with them last year whiloe writing a grant for Vectorworks.

You are a student, Higher ed, lower, Public or private. you qualify.

It will not stop working when you graduate. If you need to upgrade your version, sometime after you graduate, you will lose your ability to obtain the student discount, but you will then be eligable for the "upgrade" version rather than paying full price.

I think you want the Designer pack, as Spotlight is not a "stand alone" unit. Purchasing the Spotlight package alone would be similar to buying the "expansion pack" to Worlds of Warcraft without buying the "game" first.

As far as I remember the Student version is no different, it is simply a pricing enticement put in place to get younger folks, and those who are in school, and not making the Glorious amounts of money us real pros are, to buy the product.

Buy it straight from www.nemetschek.net/sales/index.php
Nothing beats going straight to the source and the guys at Nemetschek are a dream to deal with, excellent customer service. I not even sure if you can purchase it wanywhere else and still recieve the Student discount.

Ok all the colors of my fonts are freaking out now, I must have hit a bad key, Hope that helps.

As of 12 the student version is a full Design version which includes the Spotlight, Architect Renderworks ect......You can't buy it as a student version of Spotlight anymore. The proffesional version you can buy just the plug ins you want for a cheaper rate or the full on Design version.

You really do want the full Design version because you'll have a lot of symbols that you would otherwise have to draft both in 2-d and 3-d yourself.

Its cheaper to get the student version first and then upgrade later on when you're a proffesional.

Like Van said buy it through who Nemesteck and whoever they suggest.

Any Vectorworks questions you have I'd be happy to answer if I can.

WYSIWYG is another beast unto itself...It is not directly compatible with Vectorworks.

In the lighting world you're going to find people who love one and hate the other...I've yet to find someone who does well on both.

WYSIWYG is great to do visualization work in and works well with ETC's Emphasis console but I'm not a big fan of how the drafting comes out.

Vectorworks does some **** fine drafting but its 3-D end is clunky in comparison.

Both are descended from Autocad (which is the program TD's love). WYSIWYG works more closely with Autocad than Vectorworks does. (Vectorworks is more like a grandnephew of autocad while WYSIWYG is more of a son)

I'm a big Vectorworks guy...but that's just me.
Out of the (shameless plug) poll thread I did just a few days ago (http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5630) it seems like most of the people around here use Vectorworks (of those who voted not posted).

Here's my question to you...do you know anyone who knows either program or can help you?

If not make sure you buy the training cd's....

Also I'm not sure WYSIWYG has a student version...you'd have to look.

I am going to be a junior high school and I am wanting to purchase Vectorworks Spotlight (student license)
I need to know a few things before I buy,
Am I allowed to get the student discount in high school, or does it only apply to students enrolled in universitys?
If I am allowed to get it, will it quit working after after I graduate high school, or will I be able to keep the license through college with out having to re-purchase or upgrade? Also will it work after college?
I believe that I can only buy the 'Designer' pack with a student discount, and it includes spotlight, or is there a way to buy just spotlight(with student discount)?
What are the differences between the student version and the pro version other than the dongle?
Do I buy it through vectorworks, or an online store such as this one, http://www.macroenter.com/VectorWorks_p/2nn-p1-new-crmz-st.htm, and whats the best online store to purchase it from?
Thanks in advance!

To answer your questions as I just a month ago purchased v12.5:

Anyone with a valid, current student ID can purchase Vectorworks Designer Student Edition which costs $159.95 pretty much everywhere.

It will not stop working ever unless you lose the dongle. You can purchase upgrades at a discounted student price when/if v13 comes out.

There is absolutely NO difference between the student version and the standard version except your document screen will say "Educational Edition" or something similar on the top of the bar. This does not print on any paperwork--no worries.

The Student version bundles the core program with ALL of the "plugins" or as Vectorworks calls them Worspaces including: Spotlight, Architect, Landmark, Classic, and Renderworks. There is no way to purchase just the Spotlight version, but for the price it doesn't make any sense not to.

In reference to the question about WYSIWYG, personally I'm not a fan. Even its student version if overpriced, not to mention that its standard version is very, very expensive. They don't make a Mac version which is a big con in my book. Also, I find that at this point in my career, I don't have the need to be doing too much pre-vis. Most of my clients trust that when we get to the space I will deliver based on my hand drawings and their understanding of a lighting plot. As previously mentioned, the drafting functions of WYSIWYG are really not top notch compared to Vectorworks. VWs ability to export to Lightwright is fantastic as well.

On a side note, if you plan to buy VWs, buy Lightwright 4 as well--VWs paperwork function is well, terrible. Lightwright can be obtained at an educational price of $135.00.

I do not know anyone that uses vectorworks or wysiwyg, my school has wysiwyg report and I really don't like it (other than the paper work is alright.) I have played around with vectorworks and like it.

Is the pre-vis really that bad?

What if my school doesn't student IDs?

Last edited:
I do not know anyone that uses vectorworks or wysiwyg, my school has wysiwyg report and I really don't like it (other than the paper work is alright.) I have played around with vectorworks and like it.
Is the pre-vis really that bad?
What if my school doesn't student IDs?
I would assume a letter from an instructor or administrator with full contact info would suffice.

I would assume a letter from an instructor or administrator with full contact info would suffice.

A copy of your transcript would be a better bet....

Tup sounds like the student version is the way to go...Jezza is right pick up LW4 as its a nessecity and you really should get to know it if you're going to stick with lighting for theatre.

A copy of your transcript would be a better bet....
Tup sounds like the student version is the way to go...Jezza is right pick up LW4 as its a nessecity and you really should get to know it if you're going to stick with lighting for theatre.

On the subject of LW4, I have the demo version, been toying with it, but I feel like I can't get to know it, unless I use it. I mean, some of the features and skills just don't seem to be apparent unless you meticulously update everything and you have something like 200 instruments in the air. Given the fluidity of our school's theatre program, we seem to need new specials every time we're in use (assemblies, concerts, guests, etc.), I'm given 5 minute notice, and when the students file in, I scramble into the catwalks. I don't have time to enter everything into LW4. I mean, I'd love to use it, 'cause I'd find the time, but not everyone would use it. So what happens when only one tech out of about 6 who might alter the plot uses LW4? Chaos. :mrgreen:

I'm really not Hijacking < Iswear> But since a couple of other folks have mentioned alternatives to VW, I'd like to report that I saw a report the other day, it said the folks at Google Sketchup have been working with some industry folks and they are going to be working on some new upgrades for the "film and Stage" add-ins for sketchup. I really can't wait, watching SketchUp evolve has been really interesting.

Both are descended from Autocad (which is the program TD's love). WYSIWYG works more closely with Autocad than Vectorworks does. (Vectorworks is more like a grandnephew of autocad while WYSIWYG is more of a son)QUOTE]

Actually, Vectorworks is decended from MiniCad, a Mac based program that eventually was ported over to Windows. It has no connection with AutoCAD, which still has no Mac capability.

Right around VW 10 (2000), the designers of MiniCad/Vectorworks - Diehl Graphsoft, got bought out by Nemetschek, a Euro software company.

SB

Both are descended from Autocad (which is the program TD's love). WYSIWYG works more closely with Autocad than Vectorworks does. (Vectorworks is more like a grandnephew of autocad while WYSIWYG is more of a son)QUOTE]
Actually, Vectorworks is decended from MiniCad, a Mac based program that eventually was ported over to Windows. It has no connection with AutoCAD, which still has no Mac capability.
Right around VW 10 (2000), the designers of MiniCad/Vectorworks - Diehl Graphsoft, got bought out by Nemetschek, a Euro software company.
SB

I know that...in fact I still have my copy of Minicad somewhere...but didn't Minicad trace its routes to Autocad?

I am proficent at vectorworks and wysiwyg i own the profesional vs. of both. And i can say wysiwyg is crap. Affter the latest snafu with the subscriptions it has made users loose faith. Its expensive and you do not get your moneys worth.

On the other hand if you buy vectorworks, you could then purchess ESP vision. This is a great visualization software in fact thats all that it does. It uses the plot generated in Vectorworks and imports it.

Then you can buy Lightwright which is industry standard and now you have a complet package of software that is just a tiny bit more costly then the sort of ok wysiwyg equivelent. You also escape the anoying subscription service with wysiwyg which is the route of all their problems.

Rant over.
JH

ps. student pricing -
esp vision (one universe can hook up to a console) $249
Wysiwyg Design (can not hook up to a console) $895

Hmm a little comparision and yep well you get the idea.

Last edited:
I know that...in fact I still have my copy of Minicad somewhere...but didn't Minicad trace its routes to Autocad?

Well you may have better information, as I had never heard that MiniCad had it's basis in AutoCAD.

I tend to think not, as it was, and still is a very different operating style (Layers, classes, and general look and feel), as well as being Mac only, way back when.

SB

The original answers to this thread's question should be transcripted to the wiki. Anybody up for the challenge?

The original answers to this thread's question should be transcripted to the wiki. Anybody up for the challenge?

I don't quite understand what that means. I like a good challenge though, do you mean, in the glossary, under Vectorworks, just kind of edit the answers into a definition of VW ? I could do that tomorrow.

Just so you know within the past month I bought a student license of Vector Works 12.5. Nemetschek has changed some things, the Student edition now does add a water mark on all of your files. But the biggest change, which i am currently extremely frustrated with is that any file saved by a student copy cannot be read by a professional edition.

Steve

so is there any way to buy version 12 that does not have this, say from an academic supply store or college book store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back