Control/Dimming Vectorworks to Emphasis WYSWYG

pveltri

Hey Everyone

I am very new to wyg, as I am forced to use it with an Emphasis system. Does anyone know if there is a way to import files from VectorWorks into it and keep your lighting instruments?

I personally am fine using just the info from Lightwright, but the other students that use the space do not seem to be able to use spreadsheets and need to be able to click on the lights they want to bring up. And i must admit the previsualizer would be kind of awesome!

So hints and tips on getting this to work would be awesome as I am going to be having a ton of time with the board this week where i can tinker around

Thanks
PJ Veltri

In my expierence...no, there is no direct import from VW to Wyg. You have to go through Autocad which destroys your instrument records.

Also welcome to CB, feel free to stop by our new member forum and introduce yourself.

Hey Everyone

I am very new to wyg, as I am forced to use it with an Emphasis system. Does anyone know if there is a way to import files from VectorWorks into it and keep your lighting instruments?

I personally am fine using just the info from Lightwright, but the other students that use the space do not seem to be able to use spreadsheets and need to be able to click on the lights they want to bring up. And i must admit the previsualizer would be kind of awesome!

So hints and tips on getting this to work would be awesome as I am going to be having a ton of time with the board this week where i can tinker around

Thanks
PJ Veltri[/QUOte

WYG/Emphasis will not read a CAD plot from VW. The symbols are built totally differently and WYG cannot match to a VW symbol.

What I have success with, using the Emphasis Off-Line Editor with WYG 15, is exporting the Lightwright file in LW2 format to Emphasis. Emphasis/WYG will then prompt a fixture match as it attempts to map the terminology used in VW and LW to what's in the WYG library. Thus a pop up window will appear where it asks what an "S4 19" is, and you drill down thru a WYG library to match to "ETC - ERS - S4", or "L&E 6'-3" MR16 Mini-Strip" becomes "L&E 76 inch striplight". You match for ea. symbol type, thus it's helpful to limit the instrument inventory in LW to only what needs to be sent over.

Once the import is compete, you need to go to the Flight Case and build up your plot and positions. Then save as an Emphasis .ecs file and you can load all to console/Emphasis server.

Hope this helps

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

Users who are viewing this thread

Back