Vectorworks Tutorial

JP12687

I just got Vectorworks 11.

I was wondering if there are any good online tutorials. Im mostly using spotlight.

I have been using Softplot, and got pretty good at it. So anything to help make this transition easier would be appreciated

Thanks

A specific problem i'm having is i cannot add lighting objector to lighting locations.

For some reason when i click on the lighting location, it does not connect to it. Is there anything special i need to do to get it to hook up to a lighting location?

I read the tutorial and it said just click on the lighting position.

I know i am missing something stupid

I am sorry I cant help much, I dont have any experience with that software, the only thing I can suggest is a google search. You might be supprised what I will turn up. dont be afraid to try a bunch of different combos of your search phrase. Sorry I cant help more :-( hopefully someone here will be able to help!

I have a Vectorworks Tutorial in a box somewhere. I wish I had time to revise it and post it but I am leaving Saturday morning and I have tons to do... I probably will have time in the next few weeks to update it and revise it. Maybe I'll be able to get something up here soon.

There are a few books out there for $15 that will teach you in's and outs of the program.

I have the one we did in my school. I don't particularily love it, WYSIWYG is my friend.
Still, you have to creat a lighting position in VW...a truss or bar, you can't just hang stuff in mid-air. Make sure thats the case.

Inaki2 wrote:

"Still, you have to create a lighting position in VW...a truss or bar, you can't just hang stuff in mid-air".

Kind of like the real world, wouldn't you say ?.

Seriously though, one of the early complaints of A-Cad, from which WYG is derived, was the inability of AutoCAD to understand the relationship between a unit and a pipe, and I recall many complaints about a pipe drawn through the unit. VW did some things better, which is why it's gotten popular.

I've recieved something like 8 different VW files this season alone from companies visiting our road house, plus a few more in Lightwright alone. I have yet to see anyone using either AutoCAD or WYSIWYG.

I myself will be learning WYG by next summer when we install ETC Emphasis, but I'm very glad I learned VW when I did and will continue to use it and Lightwright for my primary drafting and paperwork.

SB

Oh I'm not saying its not a great program. My main issue is I can't get it. I find WYG to be my weapon of choice simply because I get along with it. I'd love to be more experienced in VW, but WYG just works for me. I can draft a show in WYG in no time. I do know WYG has its issues which sometimes bug the hell out of me, but me and VW just don't seem to like each other.

vectorworks training

Nemetschek offers a learning series on CD's. They work on mac and pc's. They also offer in person training at many locations around the us. check their web site.
Also a very nice professor used to post a online tutorial. I don’t have the link but if I can find it, l’ll post it.

Yes that is definetly one of the best tutorials around. So u were the RenderWorks guy huh? How did that work out for you?

I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to try it out yet, what with school starting, show opening tomorrow and the like. However, once everything settles down, i'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back