Very minimal system

krhodus

I am helping out with the middle school's musical production. For this gig we have very very minimal lights due to the buildings power. We only have 5 circuits we can use, each being around 2.4kw. Due to this we can only run four trees and 2 spots. My current design (see the attached image) has 4 ellipsodials in the back ( 2 Altman 1KL6-40's hitting the stage, 2 Altman 1KL6-12's hitting the risers on the side of the stage). The front 2 trees have fresnels ( 2 Altman 8in Fresnels hitting DSL and DSR, 2 Altman 8in Fresnels hitting the risers). My question is if there is a good color to get the fresnels. From my little design experieance I was either going to leave them ungelled or gel them a cool blue.

This was also my first attempt at doing a Vectorworks lighting plot, so its not perfect. All the mesurements are approximate guesses, I have no good mesurements of the building.

Thanks,
Kevin

<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/krhodus/1919.jpg" target="_blank">
proxy.php

Click for larger view</a>

i personally would say go with the cool blue for the fresnels.
what colour are you front washes? i cant read them.

i would def. use a front wash with warm colour and some frost such as R119 or something. the fresnels should be a cool wash.

My favorite color is RX 107 though it's discontinued. I think you are going to be needing to frost the heck out of your fixtures.

Some thoughts if you have more equipment available and were just limited by power.

Just because fixtures are rated for 1Kw, doesn’t mean they have to have a 1Kw lamps in them.

4) Ellipsoidal on the back 2x 1KL 6-40, 2x 1KL6-12
4) 8" Fresnel DSL/DSR & Risers

Assuming that due to limitations in power is the reason for eight instruments, what if you were to lamp down the Ellipsoidalis and Fresnels some?

For the 8" Fresnel: Altman #75Q 8"Fresn: BVT, BVV, BVW, CWZ are the 1Kw lamps recommended. Not much you can do with this unless you switch to 6" Fresnel fixtures lamped with 500w BTL lamps instead. Might get better coverage given half the wattage and double the amount of fixtures. Is it possible to do 6" Fresnels? This or at least use BTN lamps in them and get three fixtures per tree and just about as much punch over a more spread area.

For the 1KL fixtures, nothing says you need 1Kw lamps in them. Should be able to bring them down to a GLA 575w/115v lamp or a HPR 575/115v lamp, if not at least a often cheap FLK lamp and have just about as much output for in lamping them down for wattage, being able to use double the amount of fixtures.

Given the follow spots are using 1Kw lamps, that’s one circuit all by itself. Than again, you can instead install a Osram HPR 575/115v lamps in them or at least Philips #6981P 750w/115v lamps in them and free up enough current for one or two more fixtures. If you go with the new 750w lamps, you should have plenty of punch over that of the rest of the fixtures. If you go with the HPR in the follow spot and for the Lekos go with the GLA or even FLK lamps, again you will have plenty of punch and in this case free up lots of power for more fixtures.

I expect the goal is both to have effective lighting and perhaps some amount of control over the design’s look given only 100 Amps of power available. Such fixture and re-lamping solutions would possibly provide a more efficient light coverage and allow for some design by way of color choice.

Assuming 4x8 platforms and the location of some of the booms, you could probably also down size further what size and types of fixtures are used. Say a 90w PAR 38, 200w PAR 46, 300w PAR 56 or 150w Inkie for the wing platform down lights, with another side boom off the audience having other small instruments. 400w lamps are also available for most Lekos which could allow for up to six fixtures per circuit if you have enough available. Some of your throw distances are fairly long, but given wide focus Lekos, a 400w lamp in them might just be fine.

One hundred amps is a lot of power given the size of your space. Lots you can do with it but your fixtures would need to be down sized a lot in wattage and size I think. More fixtures with less wattage equal more coverage and flexibility.

The lekos in the back are all lamped with 500w Osram EHD's. I will have to check what lamps we put in the spots (they are brand new and not yet arrived). I believe but am not sure since we are borrowing some of the 8in fresnels, that they are running BVV's instead of BVT's, thus putting them each at 750w.

I will check what inventory we have at school to see what lamps we can try to switch out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kevin

BVT is a 1Kw lamp that's normally rated for 500 hours. BVV is a 1Kw lamp that's normally rated for 200 hours. There is no 750w 8" Fresnel lamps on the market.

The follow spot if 1000Q probably has a 1Kw FEL lamp in it. At least that's what is normally installed.

If your Lekos have 500w EHD lamps, it might be a bit dim given the throw distance. Given your school probably would not stock any of the recommended lamps, look into if they have any 750w EHG lamps at least.

Again, if at all possible, replace the 8" Fresnels with 6" Fresnels and lamp them for 500w.

Some thoughts - good luck.

i'm preferetial to a warm r-02 and i think our cool is g- 870

if you've got more lights, could you hang more lights and then not turn them on at once, this way you could have a seperate warm and cool wash.

I assume your way ahead of me in this but you've played the "let look for more power" game right? or is it that you haven't got tthe dimming capabilities? (sorry i didn't pay colse enought attehtion reading your post)

One last thing, you clearly are more comptuer adept then me. how did you convert the .mcd file so that is shareable?

The 500w EHD's seem to cast enough light from the distance. The throw distance is pry around 50', though I am not sure, I need to get in and get some better mesurements. Right now I am just going to try to hang what I have on the plot and then if we get more equipment, go from there.

We have played the "lets look for more power" game and tried to push it to the limits in past years (including knocking out all lights to the first floor, plus audio).

I am looking into seeing if we have any 6in fresnels that we can get. It all depends on how much the other high schools are using.

All I did in vectorworks was export it is a jpg ( File -> Export -> Export Image File ...).

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back