VHI DP-810 dimmer pack

DMX Nubie

I picked up a VHI DP-810 dimmer pack but I can't find any information on it.
  • Is it DMX or something else?
  • I'd like to get a PDF of the owner's manual. A service manual or schematic would be a plus.
I'll add a picture of the In/Out jacks later today.
IMG_20191003_123301.jpg

I have searched high and low and can’t find anything on this. You got more information on the dimmer. Serial number date creates any other equipment that is VHI.

I can’t even find a company website or anything.

The only suggestion that I got is to call lightparts and see if they got any info.

I was only able to to find one setup of someone selling a VHI setup on Reverb 2 years ago.

I have searched high and low and can’t find anything on this. You got more information on the dimmer. Serial number date creates any other equipment that is VHI.

I can’t even find a company website or anything.

The only suggestion that I got is to call lightparts and see if they got any info.

I was only able to to find one setup of someone selling a VHI setup on Reverb 2 years ago.

The Reverb posting was the only thing I could find also. It appears to be around 20 years old by the looks of it.
When I'm home tonight I'll post anything that's printed on it.

I do recall that it's marked "China". I'll take a complete set of pictures and measurements, maybe someone will recognize it. I wonder if the same dimmer pack was marketed under other brand names.

I've never heard of that brand either. A picture of the control input would certainly help. I doubt that it is DMX-512 compliant. From the model# I'm guessing it's an 8x 10A pack and uses analog control via DIN connectors. @DMX Nubie , please supply more photos, of both the front and back.

The Reverb sale pictures showed two 4-channel packs and a simple 8-channel controller and one or two cables with DIN plugs. It does look suspiciously analog to me, though that's purely guesstimation at this point. It didn't show the back of the dimmer units (unfortunately), but the front sure did not seem to have any means for setting an address; if the back is similarly lacking in address setting, that pretty much excludes any chance of DMX-512 (or analog multiplex) control, which basically leaves straight analog control or some weird proprietary system.

I'd guess it's well over 20 years old, by the way...probably closer to 30-40 years would be my guess based on the graphics and industrial design. Then again, I'm quite far from an expert on that sort of thing.

Two classic analog trim pots for the ramp generator on the front. I would bet analog. Not bad thing if you are only going to use it in the simple rig with it's controller. Yea, probably 30 to 40 years or age. Also not a bad thing as long as it has not been beat. Caps can sometimes dry out a bit and cause trim problems, but parts are dirt cheap if you find someone who knows what they are doing.
The biggest limitation would be integrating it into a larger system where you need DMX control. Can be done, but cost justification may kill the project.

Yep that’s 0-10v analog. You can get a converter but as said it’s costly.

@jfleenor can give you details on a converter.

ETC also makes a converter as well

I picked up a VHI DP-810 dimmer pack but I can't find any information on it.
  • Is it DMX or something else?
  • I'd like to get a PDF of the owner's manual. A service manual or schematic would be a plus.
I'll add a picture of the In/Out jacks later today.View attachment 18598
@DMX Nubie Google "NSI IF501 Protocol converter" for a 'budget friendly', yet solid and reliable, 'many input choices to analog out' protocol converter: Pay CLOSE attention to the precise model numbers, from memory, I'm recalling two or three models with extremely similar model numbers offering a variety oF conversion options.
@jfleenor Will hate me for calling the NSI bargain box to your attention. (And I don't blame her.)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I think the brand is actually VEI, but the OEM is most likely Lite-Puter. It looks very similar to even their current offerings, such as the P-408. My guess is that this is going to be 0-10v analog.

Don’t bring logic into the conversation. Lol.
@Amiers If we're going to descend into logic, my initial retort to: "I've just picked up yada, yada." Is: Put it down, put it down fast.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

About the only advantage to the old unit over the new/cheap shoebox dimmers is that they probably used the proper size SCRs or Triacs as compared to undersized ones found in cheap shoeboxes. Still, you can pick up better shoeboxes in the "under $400" range and that would eliminate a lot of messing around on the old units. Unless you are simply planning on using the current system "as is" and not upgrading it.

I'm still confused by the model 810 and what appears to be just 4 channels.
@Amiers Seemingly we're looking for LOGIC again? (Maybe it's four duplex receptacles = eight outputs powered via ONE line cord; thus 8 - 1 OR eight receptacles at one Kw each IF you don't try to load up more than ONE at a time.) In this case, I suspect expecting logic's only going to lead to disappointment.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

That’s why I said outlets. For sure only 4 channels cause of the labeling saying 1-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back