Video Editing and Publishing Software

So my first question to the TC reguarding rendering times is what are your hardware specs...that'll make a big difference.

As for what I use, FCP for the last 3 years. But I"ve been schooled on Adobe and Pinacle actually, but I prefer FCP all around.

FCP is the way to go - it was relatively easy to learn and very powerful, especially when paired up with Garage Band and Firetype. And this coming from a PC guy. We used it in high school on a top of the line mac, though... I've never used any windows versions, so I couldn't tell you.

Another advantage to fcp is apples motion

Im in love with Vegas Pro 9.. I do a lot of live show DVDs and i find that the workflow in Vegas 9 is phenomenal in comparison to Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro...I have had access to editing suites running Avid, Edius, Final Cut Pro, and Premiere and i still swear by Vegas 9...one of the best products out there on the market...

Wow, old thread. Ah well, better add my opinon. I have Final Cut Pro Studio HD, and it runs beautifully on my Hackintosh, not only do you get FCP to edit, but you get motion for all your cool titles, menus, effects and making stuff look like lightsabers.
Nick

If it's taking 8 hours to render out a DVD you've got something wrong with your workflow or a machine that should have been retired a long time ago. I've had a dvd rendering at work, while I was working in Motion..and while I had an h.264 web compression going on in Compressor. The DVD was still done in under real time. That was an extraordinary case, I don't usually have that much going on, but still over real time rendering if that's all your doing seems a bit much.

If you're getting wild render times like that (4x real time??) you can bet something is wrong with the settings on your Studio 9 timeline.

As for what software I use, at work and school I use Final Cut Studio 2. If I were starting from scratch I'd go with Adobe's Creative Suite on a PC without a doubt. Final Cut Studio 3 just came out a week or two ago and it STILL isn't optimized for multiple cores. The only workaround for that is a quick cluster in Compressor - making a virtual render farm out of one machine for changing the format of an exported video only. They're about 2 years behind technologically I figure. Couple the outdated code with the stability issues I've had (with all of Final Cut Studio - Soundtrack Pro in particular - and OSX even) and it's a mystery to me why FCP is industry standard. I haven't used Premier extensively, but it has always worked fine for me when I have used it, and tight integration with After Effects would be very nice.

It's a mystery to me why FCP is industry standard. I haven't used Premier extensively, but it has always worked fine for me when I have used it, and tight integration with After Effects would be very nice.
Because all the cool people use Mac :) I think it's actually because in the old days, Macs were used for all the photo stuff, and then video became possible, and all of the cool creative people were on Mac. I personally use anything I can get my hands on for video, I have a Hakintosh, but it's no the best for video as it's a pretty old machine, so I use Adobe Elements 7 for all my quick video stuff, as if you are just mixing between 2 camera angles, I see no reason to use FCP as Elements can do it just as well.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back