Video in a mirror

SteveB

One of our free-lance tech's does lighting design for an on-campus dance group, whose event this year was in the rental hall.

As part of the process, he was given a couple of DVD's to watch, so as to be able to pre-cue the pieces, which he did, using overhead pools as specials as well as our 5 Studio Spots.

All was well until one of the pieces cued to DVD, when he discovered that EVERY special was in an opposite stage area, I.E. the special came up on cue in DR with the dancer DL, etc...

On the 3rd DVD piece, he winged it and turned off the Studio Spots.

After the event, the choreographer asked what had gone wrong and as he described the problem(s), the choreographer commented that she had made all the videos while the camera was pointed into the dance studios downstage mirrors, so as to allow a wider angled shot.

Now that's a new one !.

Steve B.

Well thats a minor detail.
How did the choreographer not share that little piece of info. :rolleyes:

You mean it makes a difference ?
:wall:

proxy.php

If I may quote Ron White;

That's a handy little piece of information to have right there.

Oh, just a small problem....

Wait. Aren't dancers used to using mirrors? They should be able to just switch the choreography to match the lights, right?:rolleyes:

Well thats an easy enough problem to solve, just re-patch your show as the mirror of what it used to be. Update position pallets for the movers (or focus points depending on what your console calls them). I suppose then you have to make a new magic sheet as well, but besides that, not a big deal.

Yeah, I patch my lights either side, so all I would have to do is set the dimmers to start at 2 instead of one, but I don't think this was his case. Bet he wishes it was.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back