Video playback and projection questions

AAMorgan

Hi all,
I am working on upgrading and resolving our video projection capabilities here in a multi-use facility. We have a single projection screen (4:3), a semi-dedicated 2017 MacBook Pro, and a Kramer VP-728 switcher/scaler. We get handed all kinds of different sources to project on our screen: DVDs, PPT, Keynote, videos in all kinds of formats and aspects, sometimes on flash drives, sometimes on the presenter's laptop, and sometimes we need to switch sources mid-presentation. With all the swapping and multi-sourcing we have experienced lags, dropouts, bad scaling, and other gremlins. I'd like to come up with a better solution.

What do others do in this situation? Should I get a PC laptop for PPT in addition to the MacBook and request all files in advance for troubleshooting? (Haha) Run random videos off Qlab? Thanks!

Hi. Personally, I do have a PC for PPT and a Mac Mini for Keynote. This also allows me to play videos in native format when I get them on the fly. I also still have an older switcher (Folsom Presentation Pro, from before Barco bought out Folsom). Obviously, you do want to request files as early as possible, but that doesn't often work. There are so many reasons for your gremlins, but having files play natively on their system will help (PC and Mac).

Keep a log for yourself when you do have issues so that you can dig into what causes your issues. This will give you notes to discuss with others when you can't track it down on your own.

A good tech is always a plus to have as well. Not saying you aren’t good but someone you hire that knows the system through and through always helps.
Files in advance is always a bonus. But you do sometimes get the random speaker who doesn’t know you have projections til they get there and then say oh neat I want that. Here is my 1999 flash drive with my flv make that play behind me. Those people are the worst and people have a hard time saying no.
An Arsenal of all different computers is nice to have if you don’t have 1 of each you should get them.
I will say pushing 16:9 content to a 4:3 projector can make for some headaches. Unless you just meant your screen itself is 4:3 then disregard.

You can get name-brand PowerPoint for OS/X still. I'd recommend that, QLab 4, and VLC as a good starting point that lets you stay with the Mac you (presumably) know. If you have to go back and forth from PPT(X) to other stuff, it might be a little messy on screen; if that's a problem you can either export the PPT to JPGs and let QLab handle them, or get a small cheap HDMI or fade to black box...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back