Video playing software - multi display

Qlab Video is amazing. I third Qlab, it's amazingly powerful for the price.

Oh, and that's coming from a PC guy - I'm willing to go to a mac in order to use Qlab, and have been seriously considering saving up for a Minimac just to run Qlab and other such show control stuff on.

I haven't had a chance to fully test its maximum capabilities, but the latest version of Sound Cue System (V. 10.1.2) will also run videos, with some nice routing options.

I'm currently working a show which involves multiple still images. At the moment, we are using 2 different projectors (2 different brands as well) running from independent PCs. We had tried to run both off a single PC that has a multiple-send video board, but met with difficult results in routing the images scripting between the two systems.

Based on the increasing use of projections, I'd like to start investigating a better system, a combination of software and hardware, that would allow 1 to 4 projector capability, still images or video, audio routing, and independent control of each projector output, like a sequencing/cueing software system. If anyone has suggestions about equipment for the video routing/control boards and software suggestions, that would be very helpful. It would be particularly helpful if you know basic prices. A few of the video/image software programs I have looked up refuse to tell me how much they cost without downloading the demo or calling a distributor. Thanks!

Oh, and stuck on PC? Ditch it. You'll be happier on a Mac. If you need "pc". Dual-boot your mac (not hard), then install a copy of Parallels for 59.99$, which will let you boot your WinXP partition inside of a window while running OSX. That's how I use the Mackie TT24 software on my iMac while running QLab for the sound effects.

dude I'm sorry but i love my pc, and one program is not going to make me change, there is so much more i can do with windows than i can on mac. i may be the last of a dieing bread but i love windows. now I'm not saying that macs don't have there strengths but i prefer my pc.

I'm really trying to avoid the free options, and this will not be for a church environment. This is going for a theatre environment, and if a director/set designer wants a set with 3 windows that each have an independent still image projected onto it, plus an overhead movie running, I'd like to get an idea of hardware and software that would provide this, preferably with a single PC and multiple video output hardware.

Mind you, this would also not be a permanent installation option, I'd like it to be able to load onto a rolling cart and be used in any of our performance spaces.

Then I'd say SCS Standard or Professional version is what you're looking for. I'm also a die-hard PC user, but when I only have to interface with Qlab and not really deal with the awful OS, I'm fine.

For audio interfaces for the whole deal I cannot recommend the Echo Audio Audiofire interfaces highly enough. Great quality, easy to interface with sound cue programs, multiple ins and outs, so forth. I love our Audiofires. We have two Audiofire 12 units for interfacing all of our audio outs for multichannel sound in each of our theatre spaces, and also for MIDI interfacing. If you're going to buy a new dedicated computer, get one that can sit on a rackmount shelf, then set up a rack cart with the monitor on top and a slide out keyboard/mouse tray from the rack. Great for equipment stability (so you don't have to ratchet strap down your gear to keep it from moving), and great for ease-of-use.

Problem is, SCS runs videos only. I need something that can sequence any number of still pictures and/or videos, with capacity for 1, 2, 4, or more potential video devices.

So this is the kind of thing on your wish list?
Worked with them, loved them, way out of your price range.

Not quite, that's far beyond what we need.

My mind works like the structure of a sound cueing system structure, where you have a controlling computer, a multiple-output audio device, and the resulting amps and speakers that produce the results. That's kind of what I am looking for here, except for controlling still images or video. A single computer connected to the video equivalent of a hub or multiple-output device, with a cueing program that allows you to create a cue of still images and/or videos and decide what video device to play/display them on.

Let me change the thought on this.

First and foremost, I'd really like to get a better idea of what software is out there for controlling video or still images. We're using powerpoint on the projection show we're working on, but that's a bit sticky, and rather unhappy with multiple video control. SCS10 solves the video issue, but doesn't help with still images unless first converted to a video. I figure there has to be some kind of video cueing program out there, given the rising popularity of projection in theatre. Any ideas?

Second question, and this is more for those experienced in computer technology. Let us suppose we are working on a show that has a total of 5 projectors, each to show something different. Would the preferred technological control approach be some kind of video distributor/amplifier with 5 independent outputs (hard to find so far) or a computer with 5 video cards or other video devices? Any thoughts?

I'm really trying to avoid the free options, and this will not be for a church environment. This is going for a theatre environment, and if a director/set designer wants a set with 3 windows that each have an independent still image projected onto it, plus an overhead movie running, I'd like to get an idea of hardware and software that would provide this, preferably with a single PC and multiple video output hardware.
This seems to reflect some ignorance regarding church productions. Some churches are essentially doing a full theatrical and broadcast production every week and many church's technical staff, systems and capabilities exceed most theatres. In fact one of the most high tech theatres in this area is part of a private school and used as a church on Sundays. So don't dismiss something just because of the context for which it was originally developed or what the facility is called.

You keep referencing wanting to display still images or video. It sounds like the display devices are video displays (projectors, flat panels, etc.) so they display video. Think about it, your computer monitor is not displaying a still graphic, it is displaying a video signal with the same image for every frame that is generated by your video card. So to present a still graphic on a video display requires that graphic being converted to a video signal, either in advance or using a device that can generate a video signal from the graphic (e.g. a computer with a graphics card or a still store device), but you can't just display a still graphics file on a video display.

A "video distribution/amplifier" is a device that provides multiple outputs of the same video source and that doesn't seem to be what you really want. If you wish to show the same or different media on multiple displays then you need to think in terms of a dedicated source for each display and/or matrix routing.

It sounds like one option might be something like this, Alcorn McBride Digital Binloop Features, with one player per video display and controlled by any show control software that will provide the required programmable MIDI or serial control. Another option may be a computer based multimedia show software that handles multiple outputs such as ShowMagic, ShowMagic Show Control Software. You might also want to join the the Show Control list at Richmond Sound Design - Show Control & Virtual Sound Systems - Show Control Mailing List, there may be more ideas there.

MuseAV, I don't think Herr_Sprecker intended on belittling church productions, but was insinuating that the free software is not to the level he is looking for and I'm sure he knows about the mega-church productions. However, the mega-church is not the norm and as you stated are highly advanced technically and also do not use the free software (no insult to those that do). I also think that what was meant about turning stills into video is a jpeg into an avi file (or similar) since video (moving pictures) playback software does not always handle still (non-moving picture) images very well, especially on free (read limited option) software.
That being said, I just looked at that ShowMagic that you suggested and it looks pretty cool. I'm definitely going try the demo.

Herr_Sprecker, another option you may want to consider is GrassValley Turbo. This is a Windows based PC purpose built as a video playback machine (standard def video). This is a user friendly playback system (even if you are a Mac guy) that will allow you to pull video off a DVD, transfer direct media files, or record live from an exterior source. I recommend that if you go this option to use an external monitor and not use the onboard LCD.

An example of the matrix routing that MuseAV was referring to, check out Grass Valley's line of routers. There are other manufacturers that are just as good, just using this pdf as a reference since you did not seem to know about this type of hardware.
A video router will take multiple sources and send them to multiple outputs as a matter of distribution (combination up to you). This is preferrable than trying to build a computer with 5 video cards/outputs as you were suggesting, simply for processing power.

Last edited:
I find myself confused. Nothing of my previous posts said or suggested that I was belitting or downgrading church productions at all. Some of the replies to my question made it sound like I was looking for a solution for a church, and that was not the case. A mere correction of project intent. Ignorance regarding church productions? Dismissal? No, I merely stated my project was for a theatre and not a church, regardless of how extensive some churches may be in their choice of service delivery. Quite franky, I'm insulted that there was any insinuation of belittlement.

Let me clarify on terms here. I define Still Image, in the context of projection, as a picture file that does not move or contain motion (like a movie clip or such). Terribly sorry for having apparently mis-used the term 'video' in the place of 'movie clip' or 'motion video' or any of the terms that might be applied. Does this clarify in any way what I mean when I use the terms still image vs video?

In the production I have been working on right now, we are using 2 digital projectors, connected to 2 computers, each running power point presentations to display images that do not contain any motion video (hence, still image). To the audience, director, etc, these are still images. If another production were to come up where the director would like to have 5 projection screens, each with their own digital projector, and each projector could possibly display image files without motion (still images) or movie clips, I would like to be able to have an idea of what I would need in hardware and software to make this possible. Ideally, I would prefer not to have multiple computers. So, would the single computer need to (or could it) contain multiple video boards? Or would there be an external multiple output video device with outputs that could be independently referenced? And what software program would allow a cueing sequence that would, on each firing, change one, two, or all of the projector images to either a new still image picture file or some kind of movie clip?

Does this clarify?

Nothing of my previous posts said or suggested that I was belitting or downgrading church productions at all.

I assumed as much which is why I was helping clarify.

In the production I have been working on right now, we are using 2 digital projectors, connected to 2 computers, each running power point presentations to display images that do not contain any motion video (hence, still image). To the audience, director, etc, these are still images. If another production were to come up where the director would like to have 5 projection screens, each with their own digital projector, and each projector could possibly display image files without motion (still images) or movie clips, I would like to be able to have an idea of what I would need in hardware and software to make this possible. Ideally, I would prefer not to have multiple computers. So, would the single computer need to (or could it) contain multiple video boards? Or would there be an external multiple output video device with outputs that could be independently referenced? And what software program would allow a cueing sequence that would, on each firing, change one, two, or all of the projector images to either a new still image picture file or some kind of movie clip?

Does this clarify?

It's quite clear. I think the problem that you will run into is that even if you use a video card that is has multiple outputs and I believe you will be limited to 4 (I don't know of any motherboard that will allow mutiple video cards to be running at the same time), I am not sure that there are any playback programs built for this type of application. The GV Turbo that I suggested before is limited to 2 outputs and that is a custom built system. I will search some more, but frankly your safest route will be multiple computers utilizing a matrix router. You would have to trigger the computers individually or use a presenter cue system like this Cue Lights, Speaker Timers, Laser Pointers and projector accessories which is made to trigger programs like PowerPoint.

This whole area gets very interesting but can also get extremely expensive

Here are some approaches:

In general it is best to select on format for input and have all the sources.
If you do NOT need to try to have one image automatically spanned across all the projectors, then one approach would be to get a vga matrix switch put a converter on the output of any dvd player, get rs23e controlled versions use the computer output all set the the same resolution, and then get an app to trigger them. Not the easiest, and not overly automated

You could use a software package like Arkaos which has a midi and a dmx version, you would need to get a package for each pc/mac and you would need to convert your powerpoint presentations to video OR get a RGB capture card. Since theis package is midi or dmx controlled you would have the automation., You could with re cableing get an image to span 2 projectors so you have some flexibility.

You could look at High End Systems Catalyst and newer image servers but here you are looking at lots of money

I have a system I put together using some ex miltary comand and control dispaly systems allows me to take 4 inputs and spread any one over either 2 horizontal projectors, of 4 in a quad or select any of the inputs and put it in a fixed projector, and I also have the ability to take any input and either combine 6 video sources or a combination of 4 video/vga sources. I don't have any automation but usually it is a pretty fixed setup.

It really depends on your budget, how much "instant/on demand" stuff you need to do, if you have a more set production that you need to trigger etc.

I would tend to say that having 4 or 5 pc/s each with Arkaos and a mini feed MIGHT be the least expensive way to go since you can pretty much get reasonable powered PC for not all that much. A server rack of pc's probably will not work as they usually only have low end inexpensive vga output.
So I would guess you could put something togther for under 10 grand

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back