Video Question

DVkid

I have a video question. Sorry if there is a better place to post this.

I am looking for a Videonics MX-4 style switcher, but I need at least five preferably six inputs. Anybody know of anything?

Only thing I can think of would be the Panasonic AG-MX70 - course you're looking at a price tag of about $5,500. Depending on how much each camera is used in the production, the MX4 does have both a composite and Y/C input for each channel, but switching back and forth between the two requires going into a config menu every time and that would be a real pain and get pretty confusing I would guess :? I've never tried it nor don't even know if it could be done, but could 2 MX4's be daisy chained? Take the output of one into an input channel of another, and then use that input on the A bus and the other 1 or 2 camera on the B bus? Might get kind of confusing also and vid quality might be suspect - like I said I've never tried it.

DVKid-

I've used the Panasonic switcher recommended by another poster here in the past, and it's a better deal than the Videonics by far. It's going to set you back quite a bit more than a Videonics will, but, you get quality for the price. The panasonic is an 8 input model.

You really need two switchers for what you're trying to do, and a good director.

I've used the older Videonics model quite frequently and it seems to be a great system. And I can't justify the price of the Panasonic when I could buy nearly all the new equipment I need for the same price as one Panasonic.

Fair enough. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a Videonics system. For what most folks around here are doing, it's more than sufficient. On the other hand, the videonics gear isn't anything great in the grand scheme of things.

Your reasoning makes good sense - the videonics gear is going to be a much smarter solution for you.

If I had the budget I'd love to put in two of the Panasonic boards and see what they can do. Unfortunately, the budget just isn't anywhere near what I need even using Videonics boards. Why is it that clients always ask for big results on tiny budgets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back