Video screen falls on dancers in Hong Kong

BTW: Why was that screen only hung from two points?

If it had been on 4, it would probably not have fallen, and definitely not *on people*... right?

#IANAR
There can be a few reasons why the system designer decided on just two points. Without knowing more its hard to try and figure out what they were working with for variables. But a few examples might be:
1) Since they were using wire rope, we assume it was some form of winch system. could have been a drum winch with both lines running to a single groves winch. The more lines, the bigger the drum, the more space and fleet angle. The more "kinks" to work out...pun intended.
2) with only 2 lift lines, the load is "known" on each lift line, or what we call a "Determinate Structure". When you add more lift lines it becomes an "Indeterminate structure" meaning that the load shift between lift lines becomes much more difficult to predict and track. Obviously this is kinda a moot point, as they didn't have the real weight of the LED wall in the first place to determine the right sized hardware.
3) That evil thing called budget. syncing multiple single line winches is more expensive that a single multi line drum winch. But they are smaller and might fit in your truss better. I'm not sure what budget this show had, but I can imagine it wasn't low based on just the size of the rig.

I would also say this. had it been on 3, 4, more points, there is no guarantee that it would have stayed up, as we know they were way off on their loads and hence, their choice of materials and hardware. It's possible that they would have still overloaded the other lines in a chain reaction of failure and the same results would have happened.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back