Video Switchers can mess up your wireless....

You raise, in this necro-thread, a very interesting question:

Does WWB6 provide any facility for administrative frequency coordination? Can you tell it "we have these 3 MHz, and the NFL has those 4, and the halftime show has these 6 and the local news people are stuffed in this MHz; only use the part that's assigned to us to put things in"?
Yes.

It's a free download, no $ involved. Take it for a test drive, Jay! There's more than just the scan function.

Yes.

It's a free download, no $ involved. Take it for a test drive, Jay! There's more than just the scan function.
I've used it, in anger, a number of times, and -- as you can see from some of my other posts on it here -- I find it underdocumented and not terribly well designed either. :) I've watched some of the tutorial videos, too, and they suffer from nerdview; they assume way too much of the user.

And 2 racks of 8 is the biggest I ever get. It would probably be worth the investment of time if I was trying to get hired by the RF company working the Superb Owl....

I've used it, in anger, a number of times, and -- as you can see from some of my other posts on it here -- I find it underdocumented and not terribly well designed either. :) I've watched some of the tutorial videos, too, and they suffer from nerdview; they assume way too much of the user.

And 2 racks of 8 is the biggest I ever get. It would probably be worth the investment of time if I was trying to get hired by the RF company working the Superb Owl....

A few years ago I signed up for a course on wireless RF coordination Shure offered at a local sound contractor's business location. I found that the course was honestly excellent, and also very well taught, very well attended - the instructors were well prepared, they were both engineers who had designed equipment and also worked with customers on implementation. They explained many things about the practical use of WWB, and much discussion about practical use in the field also came up during the course. The opinion of many sound professionals attending the course was that WWB was a good and useful tool, noting that it is also quite conservative in it's default configuration with regards to protection against intermod and interference so you may not get all the frequencies you need the first calculation around, until you do some tweaks (e.g. "more frequencies"). I kind of view that as a good thing, the tool is delivering the best guarantee for a coordination solution it can with the least risk?? The user interface may be not very intuitive for some. I struggle with it at times as well, but I've been able to work around it. For no cost / free I am happy to use it.

WWB's features contain "inclusion" and "exclusion" zones, you can set these up to accommodate for the "we have these 3 MHz and they have these X MHz" situations. I believe in the case described, one might create a bunch of inclusion zones for each department or organization's bandwidth but I am not 100% sure on that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back