Mixers/Consoles Vintage Altec 250SU

Scenemaster60

So for those of you (us) into vintage sound equipment…

I am currently in a position where there is a 1965-ish Altec 250su console with all of its preamp and output modules in storage. I also have two 128B amps (with spare tubes), and three 525A power supplies (mics have proven to be elusive).

I suspect this stuff is worth money. Any comments or interest?

Here is a pic of the console:
IMG_3054.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 1,060
Yeah, JohnD, I have seen that add.
I was hoping that there might be some folk around here that have had experience with this console and could speak to those claims directly one way or the other...

Head over to Gearslutz. I'm sure there is someone there who could give you more info. I'm sure there will be someone there who will go crazy for it as a summing mixer. Is it worth 32k.... doubt it. But, hipsters will pay anything to get that "analog sound" while recording into a protools rig that they will process to all hell and later press into vinyl to keep that "analog sound".

I'm no vintage audio expert but, from what I've seen, never underestimate the recording crowd to go ape over anything with a vacuum tube in it. The irony is that RCA was the recording and broadcasting big dog in that era and Altec was more the Peavey of its day. The fact that these were installed in churches and auditoriums should tell us something. I think the guy asking $32k is delusional, but watch ebay and see. Google shows he has been marketing it far and wide.

Do you have the console power supply? I hope so, because the console is useless without it. Don't attempt to power it up. Unless you are an expert in electronic restoration, I suggest leaving it alone and selling it as is, or hire an expert to restore it and sell it at a premium. Buyers of this kind of thing will want very specific replacement parts used, and meticulous craftsmanship.

Here's an interesting thread...
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=58578.0

Then there's the rest of us who just appreciate having a tube device for sentimental reasons, a nod to the past, or to admire the aesthetics of classic audio gear. Similar to how one might smile or stand in awe at an art gallery, or admire a captivating painting in a museum. No real crazy claims of "that analog sound" or superior sound quality... just a sense of respect for the equipment's design and those who designed it back in the day. Despite marketing weenies and PR representatives from equipment manufacturers attacking such collectors of classic equipment by posting sarcastic comments on internet message forums.

(Not mentioning any names of course...)

TCJ, you seem to be ascribing something to me that I didn't write. You have no way of knowing what kind of equipment I admire and respect. You also know nothing about what I do for a living, nor how much of my time is actually spent operating and maintaining things with glowing cathodes.

Maybe I can rephrase what I intended to convey. The Altec is a neat old console, and it looks to be in remarkable shape. It's worth doing something cool with, and maybe it is worth some money. But I don't think it is worth anywhere near $32k.

Last edited:
Yeah, JohnD, I have seen that add.
I was hoping that there might be some folk around here that have had experience with this console and could speak to those claims directly one way or the other...
Hi! The Altec 250SU is beloved for some styles of recording. "Holy Grail" may be hype, but if it's well maintained the preamps are wonderful. It's current value, of course, depends on it's condition and how complete it is (has it been serviced, does it have it's original transformers etc). I've been looking for one for a while. Are you in a position to sell the console? Depending on it's condition I would be interested in talking with you directly!

-david

Users who are viewing this thread

Back