Vintage Fresnel stage light - Furse

Hi Guys,

I have some friends whose father past away recently. He owned a photo studio and my friends found out he had this fresnel stage light in the studio.

As you can see on the pictures it is a product from Furse and the model seems to be SS181 (not sure if I read the markings on steel correctly).

Pictures: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53063170
(I could not find a way to upload directly to this thread, probably it is not possible)

Now the thing is that they want to sell it on auction in his studio this coming weekend but the problem is like this; what is it worth? I'm a photographer myself so that's the reason why they asked me but honestly I have no clue at all. After a little reseach on the internet I finally ended up in this forum. I hope someone can help us out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Probably not too useful as a working fixture. For one thing, I strongly suspect that the lamp is no longer manufactured. When it dies you will find it difficult and expensive to replace.

It's worth exactly what someone will pay for it ;). Really, there are two values to consider. One being the value as a working fixture - probably not a whole lot. Another is if it has that vintage "Hollywood" feel. If it does, it might bring in a little more than its practical/useful value. You'd be surprised by what some nuts enthusiasts will pay for "modern/vintage/steampunk/industrial" home decor. I see people asking nearly $1,000 for a $50 fixture all the time... Whether or not they actually get it... I have my doubts but there's a sucker enthusiast born every minute. Larger (10"+) lenses, when intact, and be desirable/costly as well, so consider that.

My appraisal assuming it has all its parts: $50-100 for the head only (dependent on diameter), $200-250 if it has a decent stand along with it; but it really depends on who you market it to. I saw a few other photos and noticed that it has a set of barndoors. That may raise the value a bit. Similar Mole Richardsons go for around $350 with stand but they're kind of the de-facto sought-after light. I'd place this one a bit below that. Still a cool piece, and I'd bet that someone ends up with it in their home theater room.

Last edited:
There is a booming cottage industry in the UK - shotblasting, polishing and selling old Strand profiles and fresnels. I see old Patt 23s going for £700 having had the 500w bubble replaced with a 100w domestic. I used to have a bunch of them and gave them away years ago :(
Thing is about Furse, they were very much a poor relation as far as theatre lighting went. Their units never looked good, they were just old tin buckets with a lens of some sort on the front. At the time we all thought that Fiurse sort of sucked - why have that when you could have Strand who made, it has to be said, iconic and unique looking instruments such as the 23, and 264
Mole Richardson also, as Les said, had some sort of design going on. Furse were never about that.
However, its still an old retro light and somebody will want it. Everyone likes a big fresnel lens with big ol' barndoors in front of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back