Loudspeakers Vintage University Horn

Do you mean Electro-Voice's "University" series horns?

From my understanding, University sound was its own company before getting bought by altec, which then got bought by telex/ev. Now EV uses the name for their comercial horn products, and they still manufacture some of the university designs like the cobreflex.
Maybe somebody at EV could help you out. Its probably an early model from the 50s/60s. I wouldn't expect much in terms of power handling.

At one time University Sound, Altec-Lansing and EV were separate companies and all offered mics, mixers, amps and speakers. Then starting the 70's came Gulton, Mark IV, Bosch and all the associated mergers and consolidation. In trying to develop different 'brand identities' between the companies as they joined the corporate family there were times that products were developed by one company and then sold under one of the other company's names. Eventually some of the component companies were sold off while others were merged into the product lines of some of the better known brand names.

You might find some information on the driver and possibly the horn if you do some searches for "University SA-HF".

Did a little digging, here's a site with a bunch of old university literature. There's reference to a SA-30 driver, but no SA-80. It's in the last page on the right under the 1957 heading.
New Page 1

Did a little digging, here's a site with a bunch of old university literature. There's reference to a SA-30 driver, but no SA-80. It's in the last page on the right under the 1957 heading.
New Page 1
My mistake - it IS a SA-30B driver with a flat back. This threads onto a 6" diameter casting which includes a pivoting stand socket threaded for 3/4" pipe, and also the legend "UNIVERSITY LOUDSPEAKERS INC. WHITE PLAINS NEW YORK," cast in a circle. The inner two concentric segments of the horn are screwed onto three posts on the front face of the casting, which in turn latches into four slots in the rear of the final large horn segment. It's a strange relic. - dreisl4

My mistake - it IS a SA-30B driver with a flat back. This threads onto a 6" diameter casting which includes a pivoting stand socket threaded for 3/4" pipe, and also the legend "UNIVERSITY LOUDSPEAKERS INC. WHITE PLAINS NEW YORK," cast in a circle. The inner two concentric segments of the horn are screwed onto three posts on the front face of the casting, which in turn latches into four slots in the rear of the final large horn segment. It's a strange relic. - dreisl4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back