VL 1000 TS

Hi Controlbooth,

Im tyring to get some rentals figured out for an upcoming musical that im LDing. Im renting through Cal Stage if anyone is wondering. Anyways, im looking to rent 4 moving lights, at first they were going to be Vl 3000s but then I realized that those are 208v fixtures and that cant really be accomodated (any ideas). So now I'm looking at the VL 1000 TS and there is a note that says it needs an 'outboard dimmer for intensity control'. I have no idea what this is, they dont mean a regular circuit do they? A little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You just plug it in to a dimmer. Basically, everything except the lamp (which is tungsten in this fixture) is powered off of the constant power circuit. The lamp is connected directly to another connector, which plugs in to an external dimmer. So the unit actually has two power cords, one that plugs in to a constant power circuit (from a distro or relay module), and one that plugs in to a dimmer circuit that just controls the intensity of the lamp.

Are you sure that you can't get a 208V tap through any power distribution in the venue? No company switch in the wings that can supply 208V?

Yup, they mean a standard circuit. The VL1000 comes in a few forms, HMI version with a mechanical dimmer, tungsten version with a built in dimmer, and a tungsten version without an on board dimmer. Why you would want the external module is beyond me besides exactly matching your house dimmer curves. They also made models that subed the shutters for irises.

So yes, you will need to run 120v ND power to it, a dimmable circuit, and DMX. Also, they can be a pain to patch on some consoles.

Umm, VL1000TS is NOT a wash fixture. VL2500 comes in both a Spot and Wash version. MAC2000 Profile, Performance (adds shutters), and Wash all can run from constant 120VAC power, AS well as both VL2000, S&W and 2500S&W, and VL1000AS.

If you're going through Cal Stage, the one off Harbor/Garry in costa mesa, ca. I would talk to Bob Mumm, he is the best person to talk to there for what they have in their rental inventory, and how to get it working in your facility.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back