VL3500 Gobo Wheels

SAWYeR

Hey all,
So lately I've been programming a pair of VL3500s for a show I'm working on here at DePaul. One question that the LD kept asking was is it possible to swap gobos from the static wheel into the rotating wheel. I feel that this would be possible, but I'm no Vari*Lite tech and I didn't want Intelligent Lighting creations to get mad if we sent back their movers with the gobo wheels changed up on them :p So, is this possible?

Thanks

They are swappable. If you are going to do this, make sure they go back before you send them back to the shop. Most shops leave fixtures "stock", and most consoles assume a stock fixture. You might want to also give ILC a yell about it, most shops are fine with you doing it but some are not. There is also the possibility that the rotating gobos are glued in with a bit of high temp glue, if so, I would not mess with it unless you have more glue to re-set the gobo before it goes back to the shop.

Last edited:
Sawyer, Footer is almost completely correct. The VL gobo carrier is universal and is designed to allow you to move the gobos between the indexed wheel and the fixed wheel in the fixture with minimal effort. On the indexable wheel the cup has three (3) keyed tabs that align it to the rotating index assembly in the holder. For the fixed wheel, there is a pressure bar that holds the cup in a slot. It is all designed for universal movement between the wheels exactly for the purpose of allowing you to more creativity whne you design. I do agree with footer that it is very important that you return the gobos to their original locations prior to returning the rental unit as a courtesy to the shop techs who will need to prep the fixture for it's next gig after your return.

Regards, Leonard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back