Voltage, but no current?

... Though the voltage reading with a load does not go up in a linear fashion, it does appear to increase in accordance with a pattern. The reading taken without an electrical load in parallel does not form a regular pattern, and even produces an anomaly in the voltage reading between tests at 50% and at 100%. With the control system dimmer curve set to linear, those two reading should differ, yet they do not.
Anyone care to enlighten [user]killjoy[/user]?

I hate being wrong. It seemed straight-forward with the information I have. What's the problem?

I was trying to make the point that if the readings were reliable, I would expect a certain relationship between a reading at 50% vs. a reading at 100%. Namely, that they would differ from each other, with 100% being larger (significantly) than 50%. Since that relationship did not exist, the readings must not be reliable. This does assume that the end intensity is controlled by the dimmer adjusting the voltage.

Perhaps the dimmer curve is irrelevant. Perhaps the pattern of the reading without a load does have a pattern, yet is too subtle for my limited data set and tester to detect. Perhaps 124v is beyond the capability of the Strand CD80s. Perhaps the voltage readings with a pattern DO go up in a linear fashion. What? Don't let me wallow in ignorance! I have but the merest bits of information to enlighten my path.

Last edited:
Part of your problem in the linearity that you are expecting to see is that most dimmer rack microcontrollers insert a dimmer curve, and not all companies use the same curve. When you set the control board to linear, the rack still uses the curve that it has been programmed for. I'm sure that there are other contributing factors when measuring switched sinewaves. Someone else would need to answer that, but I also suspect that the detailed answer is a bit over the top for most readers on this forum and really not all that important. If the dimmer works use it, if the curve seems wrong change it in the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back