VSSSD Using Hot Mud?

Colin

Has anyone tried this or is it even part of the regular formula and I just don't know it - mixing VSSSD using powdered setting type joint compound like Durabond or Easy Sand rather than pre-mixed? Or does anyone have any predictions of the results when I try it out? Would it make no difference at all at that ratio? Or would it be stronger? Would it dry faster? Would it dry way faster (say it's Durabond 20) than the latex ingredients and separate or do something else weird? One thing for sure is it gives more control of consistency.

Sounds like its time to dust off the ol' scientific method. My guess is that you'd have to adjust the ratios to add keep the same viscosity. And at that point, why use the powdered stuff at all?

And at that point, why use the powdered stuff at all?

Because (in regular applications but maybe not combined with these other ingredients) rather than drying by evaporation like premixed mud, setting compound chemically hardens like plaster in as little as 10 minutes once it touches water, and is considerably more durable in hardness and bonding and crack resistance (less shrinkage).

So for instance I have a set loading in later this month that I'd like to do stucco treatment on in situ, but will be sharing the stage with rehearsals by then so it would be nice to have a formula that would set faster. Seems like a useful trait in lots of cases.

Durability may not be a common complaint with VSSSD but I could introduce you to a few dozen directors and performers who could easily change our minds.

As far as ratio adjustments, that's the other part of this idea that I like - being able to adjust the stiffness of the mixture. Adding straight powder without water probably would probably be too stiff, but there's a wider range of workable consistencies when starting from there versus premixed.

I used "Rock Hard" water putty in a small mix once. I really liked the fish it gave. It was a bit crackly <it tended to crack when applied real thick> but it set very hard and was not brittle.

I used "Rock Hard" water putty in a small mix once. I really liked the fish it gave. It was a bit crackly <it tended to crack when applied real thick> but it set very hard and was not brittle.

Nice. Pretty much the same thing as Durabond chemically, but Durabond holds together better in thick application and I think is generally stickier. I'll go shopping and mix up some test batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back