VW > Lightwright not transferring addresses

Kevin1844

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2017
Location
Boston
I'm very new at this so I may stumble through this-
I have a fairly simple plot in VW. All channels and addresses have been assigned in VW. When I try to export to LW, only the channels export. The addresses do not. In fact, some of my attempts have caused the assigned channels in VW to also disappear.
I am exporting all three address related fields.
My field mapping is as it should be, address to address.
I've tried both LW options under Editing in Vectorworks: "Address" and "Address + U Address"

I'm not sure why this is an issue all of a sudden. It was working fine a couple weeks ago. I don't know what, if any, changes I've made.

Thanks for your help!
 

SteveB

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Location
Brooklyn, NY
LW 5, if that's what you're using, by default is looking for dimmer.

You can go into LW vocabulary and change Dimmer to Address, then reset the import map in LW as well.
 

bdkdesigns

Active Member
Fight Leukemia
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Location
Orlando, FL
Is it Lightwright 6? I had the same issue. I can't remember what changes I made from the default settings since Lightwright remembers your settings so I messed with settings until it worked again, and forgot it. However here is what I changed my options to. Also, Steve, I do believe that Lightwright 6 now defaults to looking for Address instead of Dimmer. Personally, I made the switch and updated all of my label legends and only use address now instead of dimmer because it was struggling looking for a dimmer instead of address. I've been wanting to do it for awhile now but was too lazy to update all of my label legends. LW6 basically just forced me to finally make the switch.
 

Attachments

SteveB

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Location
Brooklyn, NY
Is it Lightwright 6? I had the same issue. I can't remember what changes I made from the default settings since Lightwright remembers your settings so I messed with settings until it worked again, and forgot it. However here is what I changed my options to. Also, Steve, I do believe that Lightwright 6 now defaults to looking for Address instead of Dimmer. Personally, I made the switch and updated all of my label legends and only use address now instead of dimmer because it was struggling looking for a dimmer instead of address. I've been wanting to do it for awhile now but was too lazy to update all of my label legends. LW6 basically just forced me to finally make the switch.
Correct, 6 does, 5 didn't, but you can change 5's dimmer field to be Address. This also allows it to better talk to Eos.
 

Kevin1844

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2017
Location
Boston
I am positive I had every instrument labeled with address. Eventually, I lost all address data on both lightwright (6) and Vectorworks. I guess i tried so many things that it just disappeared. I pretty much started over and re-entered everything manually and it worked. Not looking forward to that happening again.
 

Drafty App

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2016
Location
New York City
May be worth looking into for you, we offer an integrated drafting and paperwork solution for lighting designers so there's no need to manage version or field compatibility issues between different pieces of software. You can take it for a spin at https://drafty-app.com/ and see if it might alleviate some headaches.
 

Harrison Hohnholt

Active Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2015
Location
Carlstadt, NJ
Kevin could you email me your LW and VWX file? hhohnholt(at)citytheatrical(dot)com. See if we can get it set straight.
 

travisbuddy

New Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2019
Location
Baltimore
I'm very new at this so I may stumble through this-
I have a fairly simple plot in VW. All channels and addresses have been assigned in VW. When I try to export to LW, only the channels export. The addresses do not. In fact, some of my attempts have caused the assigned channels in VW to also disappear.
I am exporting all three address related fields.
My field mapping is as it should be, address to address.
I've tried both LW options under Editing in Vectorworks: "Address" and "Address + U Address"

I'm not sure why this is an issue all of a sudden. It was working fine a couple weeks ago. I don't know what, if any, changes I've made.

Thanks for your help!
I know this is an old post but I just had the same issue and the problem was that in Spotlight Preferences in VW under the Lightwright tab the "Address" field was not selected as a field to be exported to LW and the reason it was clearing out the addresses already put into VW before I did this is that LW was bringing over the blank data in its Address column to VW. Now that "Address: is selected to be exported in VW the data exchange will work both ways instead of one. Hope this helps someone in the future!
 
Last edited: