VW > Lightwright not transferring addresses

Kevin1844

I'm very new at this so I may stumble through this-
I have a fairly simple plot in VW. All channels and addresses have been assigned in VW. When I try to export to LW, only the channels export. The addresses do not. In fact, some of my attempts have caused the assigned channels in VW to also disappear.
I am exporting all three address related fields.
My field mapping is as it should be, address to address.
I've tried both LW options under Editing in Vectorworks: "Address" and "Address + U Address"

I'm not sure why this is an issue all of a sudden. It was working fine a couple weeks ago. I don't know what, if any, changes I've made.

Thanks for your help!

LW 5, if that's what you're using, by default is looking for dimmer.

You can go into LW vocabulary and change Dimmer to Address, then reset the import map in LW as well.

Is it Lightwright 6? I had the same issue. I can't remember what changes I made from the default settings since Lightwright remembers your settings so I messed with settings until it worked again, and forgot it. However here is what I changed my options to. Also, Steve, I do believe that Lightwright 6 now defaults to looking for Address instead of Dimmer. Personally, I made the switch and updated all of my label legends and only use address now instead of dimmer because it was struggling looking for a dimmer instead of address. I've been wanting to do it for awhile now but was too lazy to update all of my label legends. LW6 basically just forced me to finally make the switch.

Attachments

• Lightwright.jpg
    Lightwright.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 334
Is it Lightwright 6? I had the same issue. I can't remember what changes I made from the default settings since Lightwright remembers your settings so I messed with settings until it worked again, and forgot it. However here is what I changed my options to. Also, Steve, I do believe that Lightwright 6 now defaults to looking for Address instead of Dimmer. Personally, I made the switch and updated all of my label legends and only use address now instead of dimmer because it was struggling looking for a dimmer instead of address. I've been wanting to do it for awhile now but was too lazy to update all of my label legends. LW6 basically just forced me to finally make the switch.

Correct, 6 does, 5 didn't, but you can change 5's dimmer field to be Address. This also allows it to better talk to Eos.

I am positive I had every instrument labeled with address. Eventually, I lost all address data on both lightwright (6) and Vectorworks. I guess i tried so many things that it just disappeared. I pretty much started over and re-entered everything manually and it worked. Not looking forward to that happening again.

May be worth looking into for you, we offer an integrated drafting and paperwork solution for lighting designers so there's no need to manage version or field compatibility issues between different pieces of software. You can take it for a spin at https://drafty-app.com/ and see if it might alleviate some headaches.

Kevin could you email me your LW and VWX file? hhohnholt(at)citytheatrical(dot)com. See if we can get it set straight.

I'm very new at this so I may stumble through this-
I have a fairly simple plot in VW. All channels and addresses have been assigned in VW. When I try to export to LW, only the channels export. The addresses do not. In fact, some of my attempts have caused the assigned channels in VW to also disappear.
I am exporting all three address related fields.
My field mapping is as it should be, address to address.
I've tried both LW options under Editing in Vectorworks: "Address" and "Address + U Address"

I'm not sure why this is an issue all of a sudden. It was working fine a couple weeks ago. I don't know what, if any, changes I've made.

Thanks for your help!

I know this is an old post but I just had the same issue and the problem was that in Spotlight Preferences in VW under the Lightwright tab the "Address" field was not selected as a field to be exported to LW and the reason it was clearing out the addresses already put into VW before I did this is that LW was bringing over the blank data in its Address column to VW. Now that "Address: is selected to be exported in VW the data exchange will work both ways instead of one. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back