VW Manual

Jezza

Hey all -- looking for a good VW 2008 manual as the 2009 manual isn't out yet . There are still some things I'm grappling with and I think I've got the time on break now to wrestle this **** thing to the ground once and for all. Let me know!

I wish Nemetschek would have a free "getting started" for Spotlight. I feel like Spotlight is the bastard child of Vectorworks. Maybe it's because it is a relatively small demographic, but it feels like it is pretty hard to find Spotlight help anywhere but places like here.

Thanks, but already seen that one...proving my point...I have seen that link in every single thread about Spotlight, because it is the only one....

-Tim

Thanks, but already seen that one...proving my point...I have seen that link in every single thread about Spotlight, because it is the only one....

-Tim

Tim,

You and Jezza are just going to have to struggle through it like the rest of us. I spent a (occasionally) very frustrating 6 weeks or so back in '03, 20 or more hrs/ per week (seemed like per day) struggling thru it. The only answer was to use it and keep doing projects. After 5 years, I consider myself conversant enough to say I know about half of it, but totally agree that a better tutorial would be useful.

We have countless students struggling currently, especially with the Lightwright interface, enough that I started a Lightwright and Vectorworks Tips and Tricks lecture series at the college (where I DO NOT TEACH !). Last year we had 7. This year we expect 15. It's more a meeting of the minds as everyone one present gets to add their own tips and things they've learned. It's a college course all it's own, in my mind as I talked for 4 hrs. straight last year.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

What are you trying to do that is not covered in that guide, or in the help? Your questions about editing symbols and records are covered in the help inside Vectorworks.

Ok, So I'm very new to VW and I'm trying to figure out how to set PDF view areas and print areas. Every time I try to export a PDF, it comes out blank. Even tho I'm looking at my plot right there on the screen! I know it's probably really simple, but I'd love the help!

A few things to check, What are your line weights? PDFs don't look right if the lines are really thin. I don't think this is the cause but it might be.

How are you printing? Are you printing from sheet views or the main workspace? If you are printing from the workspace you need to make sure that the print area box is around what you have drawn. You can move the box using the page move tool. This is the most likely culprit.

Let me know if this doesn't do it for you.

I am struggling through it; I have been for a few weeks now. But, that is all I am saying. I am struggling though it. I am essentially teaching myself. That is how I have to learn everything, because the school I went to didn't teach me. My lighting professor doesn't have the slightest clue how to use CAD or even Lightwright. He still hand drafts and uses Excel for his paperwork. To each his own, but in an educational setting...I am a little bit bitter to say the least.
Anyway, my post was simply an expression of my opinions, I wasn't expecting anyone to come rescue me with some brilliant post. The help within VW is very useful, but it is no replacement for being taught the proper way to use the software. I am sure there are many people out there using this software that can't get the most out of it because they don't know how. It is impossible to look up how to do something in the help if you don't know that that particular function/process/shortcut/etc. exists in the first place.
I thank everyone here for their help.

-Tim

Fun timing on the post: I just gave up for the day when my dimensions were at a different 3d rotation than my object... the only way I currently have them overlapping is with two viewports set to different views. Learning by fire is fun!

Tim-

There are a couple of other viable options for you to learn Vectorworks Spotlight. First I'd recommend to you or anyone to start with watching overviews of how the product can work at the Spotlight product page. I'd also recommend contacting Resolve about their Vectorworks Spotlight 2008 training manual. It is pretty thorough and will be useful to you regardless of whether you are using 2008 or 2009. They have it listed with sample chapters on their site.

Lastly, there are other manuals in the production process that will likely be coming out in the coming weeks and months. If any of you ever have questions about options available to you to learn Vectorworks, you're welcome to contact me.

Thanks for your post jpventor! Your first post...and from Columbia....sounds like you work for Nemetschek. :lol::lol:
Thanks for the Resolve website, that looks promising.

-Tim

Tim-

There are a couple of other viable options for you to learn Vectorworks Spotlight. First I'd recommend to you or anyone to start with watching overviews of how the product can work at the Spotlight product page. I'd also recommend contacting Resolve about their Vectorworks Spotlight 2008 training manual. It is pretty thorough and will be useful to you regardless of whether you are using 2008 or 2009. They have it listed with sample chapters on their site.

Lastly, there are other manuals in the production process that will likely be coming out in the coming weeks and months. If any of you ever have questions about options available to you to learn Vectorworks, you're welcome to contact me.

jpvector, be sure to stop by the New Member Forum and introduce yourself? Do you work for Nemetschek or do you just know a lot about VW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back