Wagon for drum set; everything about drum riser

masterelectrician2112

I think this applies to scenery, but move this if I am wrong. I am planning on using/building a wagon for our talent show that the drum set of each band can be set up on. We are doing our musical right now and a 4'x8' wagon with 2 wagon brakes and 6 swivel-casters was built for one of the set pieces. Is a 4x8 surface large enough to accomodate a drummer, drum set, and maybe a throne? Any other suggestions?

We normally use 2 4x8' risers for a drum set.
If you have enough space off stage, you could use two platforms. Put as much as you can on the front platform, then the rest and the throne on the second.

My drama teacher suggested that also. I am thinking that I will just get 3 more casters and put those on another 4x8 and screw the 2 together. Hopefully it won't be too big and bulky. Thanks.

I'd love to if I had room to build/store 2. That would be nice, but I think if we space out the bands like we usually do, we should be ok. Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what your wagons looks like, but I would definitely suggest adding a 1x4 lip around the platform. It is easy for cymbal stands to be placed too close to the edge of the platform or for loose drumsticks to roll around on it, and it is nice to have something that can catch these before they fall off during movement.

-- Now that I think about it, instead of 1x4s screwed to the sides of the platform, it would probably look better and be easier to just have some 1x2s screwed around the top of it.

MarshallPope said:
-- Now that I think about it, instead of 1x4s screwed to the sides of the platform, it would probably look better and be easier to just have some 1x2s screwed around the top of it.

That's a good idea. I am hoping to create a sketchup rendering of this soon because I have some special things I want to do to it.

A few thoughts based on experience...

Carpet deck, don't even think about anything else, the drums will jump around.
Good strong casters - when your drummer gets going, seeing the whole riser bounce is err interesting. Remember also to design for a point loading from the drummer's stool legs...
Locking casters at least on the 4 corners, to slow the movement of the riser around the stage.

I built a drum cage on a 8'x10', 2"x6" platform, insulated it with fiberglass batting, decked it w/ 3/4" plywood and carpeted it. I used 5 mover's dollies inlet into the platform so I had about an inch of clearance to the stage. The mover's dollies made for very easy relocation of the kit on the stage. When we went in a 'different direction', the dollies were re-purposed. The drummers were bummed when they lost their home.

If it's on top of other portable decking I try to get the seams running opposite the layer below. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but it's something I try and do.

I am a drummer (hence the name drummerboi316 :)) and if i was given the choice, I would put them on the left and right of the drummer, so the seam faces US and DS. I would choose this way because I feel that there is more pressure exerted toward the DS edge of the platform because the drumset is facing that way so naturally pressure goes that way. along with that... the playing of the kick drum has alot of force behind it, and if you put the seam parallel to the most force, rather than perpendicular to it, you would have less chance of the platforms working themselves undone.

Regardless, if they're tight to each other and there's a carpet on top, you're more than likely going to be ok.

I generally place the crack up and downstage. Occasionally a drummer will ask for it the other way stating that it puts the kick on one riser so it doesn't rock. With flat risers I prefer the first method.

Hey folks, long-time, no-see.

One of the venues I'm working with is looking to buy/make new platforms to use as a dedicated drum riser for concert events. Since our stage is kinda small and tends to get really crowded really quickly, I'm wondering if we could get away with a 6'x6' riser instead of an 8'x8'. I know that it could mean putting the overhead stands on the floor, but would that be enough room for an average kit, or will the drummers hate us for it?

Does anyone have any suggestions for their favorite compromise between sturdy and light-weight? Currently looking at Wenger, or considering building one standard platform style (I do have access to a shop and tools.)

I worked for years on a stage where the main drum riser was a 2m x 2m (6'-7" x 6'-7") Rosco "Nivoflex" platform.
index_01.jpg
Plataformas Rosco Nivoflex
Really a cool, but costly system. Infinitely variable height, and no legs to fuss with. Never had any complaints, but we were doing B celebrity acts, not rock & roll. We never needed to put cymbal stands on the floor.

6x6 is a bit too tight. 7x7 is doable if your doing a 5 piece or less kit and the kick is not freakishly deep. If you have small wedges that would help. Its not going to be perfect. What kind of acts are you presenting? Most of the acts that have the bigger kits usually also want the riser. Unfortunatly the jazz guys with the small kits always want to be on the floor, so you have that working against ya.

Staging Concepts in my view has one of the better decks out there.

Wow, that Nivoflex staging is awesome, but a but more substantial of an investment that we can make right now.

Most of the acts that we see are modestly sized rock/blues groups and cover bands that are new enough to the scene to not have extensive rider requests. Mostly 5-piece kits, very rarely is it 6 or more, and in that case we're usually renting PA etc, and throw staging in the rental anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back