Wall-box DMX dimmers?

I pretty much new that; didn't realize Lutron was down the same hole -- especially since Lutron lists Home Despot as a dealer.

Lutron makes a huge range of stuff. Generally good for the price. I even have an in-line dimmer that clamps onto lamp cord. I ran a LV desk light off it expecting it to burn up the cheapy gear. Ran that way for 25 years.

You might go to the simple side. A standard dimmer with 3-way capability. Then use a remote DMX relay pair as the 3-way switch. You won't get level by DMX but you do get On/Off.

I think you're still better off with the electrician.

Likely. I mean, there was going to be another electrician involved either way, he just wasn't going to have to do nearly as much work.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I might be missing something, but that dimmer looks as if it takes two and a half 4 gang boxes, where I only have one.

It mounts on a 2 gang, but yes, it does take up 4 gang of space, if that makes sense. And yes, it is only rated for 600w. (Sorry, it the closest thing I could think of)

Ive used that Fleenor box and it's terrific for mains dimming retro fit LED lamps, but it is only 240 watts per channel. The ETC Echo product I mentioned earlier is also good at these low level loads and for a few, probably less expensive. Didn't know you needed 8 channels.

Sure. I was simply trying rather desperately not to have to rip a whole bunch of walls apart for rewiring. And it looks like I may not have a choice.

Rick and Mac are both referring to the idea of using a dimmer in a switch leg, and I'm not certain that that is actually approved by the NEC for commercial installations, which this is. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a triac wall box dimmer installed on a switch leg, I thought they did require a neutral.

It's beginning to look a lot like I'm going to have to just back fish the wires out of those boxes and feed them into an email box with the dimmers mounted in it on that wall. What a shame. Maybe I'll gamble on the construction and get lucky. I will look into the zigbee and insteon stuff, though I don't think insteon has a dimmer that goes up that far in power.

"and feed them into an email box" An email box? Huh?? What was this really supposed to say?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

With 28 dimmed circuits, seems for life of the system finding a place to mount a central cabinet makes sense. You can still use the wiring and just blank out wall boxes and avoid having " to rip a whole bunch of walls apart for rewiring". Data for few control stations could be fished or maybe wireless. From a service point of view, it would drive me crazy having dimmers hither, nether, and beyond.

Certainly. And I would love to be able to centralize the dimmers. But at the moment, I have no evidence that the building is wired circuit per dimmer. And if it's not, I'm still going to have to play games with the wiring.

Certainly, though, I have about all the input I can effectively utilize without knowing that fact at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back