Wall panel control of more than one DMX universe?

Skervald

I'm trying to help out a local high school with a new space. They have push button wall stations installed but they only control universe #1. This limits their function to controlling house lights, work lights, and conventional front lights. LED cyc lights and over stage LED PARs are on a second universe and therefore out of reach.

They do have a console that can handle 4 universes but staff is very intimidated by it. My thought was to program a few looks they could for concerts and other minor events into the wall panels. The single universe functions fine but it would look a lot better if I could throw a little color on the cyc for them.

Options as I see them:

1. deal with it as is
2. make staff learn to use the console
2. use the wall panels for universe 1 and a simple portable push button control to control universe 2. (Fleenor pre set 10 portable or similar)
3. find a very simple push button controller that will handle more than one universe
4. replace or reconfigure current wall panels to control more than one universe (is this even possible?)

Unfortunately I'm unclear on the exact make and model of the wall panels. I don't know how they are connected to the dimmers either. Maybe Art-net? Given that the rest of the install is Strand, I'm guessing these are too but I can't find them on the inter-tubes. Dimmers are Strand R21 raceways which also have DMX outs. House lights are on A21 dimmers.

I have reached out to the installer but I'd love to year your thoughts as well...even if it's just to tell me I can't do this.

Thanks!

Too many particulars to know best way. I suspect some means of more flexible addressing and data management so you can put all you want in universe 1 is the likely lowest cost solution. I know my systems routinely do what you're asking. Details needed to help.

Handling the relays is the tricky part. I hate it when you push a button on an entry panel and there is a pause. People start repeated pushing. I think I may try occupancy sensors for on and a timer, so relays are flipped when door opens, and the timer is continually restarted.

I'm trying to help out a local high school with a new space. They have push button wall stations installed but they only control universe #1. This limits their function to controlling house lights, work lights, and conventional front lights. LED cyc lights and over stage LED PARs are on a second universe and therefore out of reach.

They do have a console that can handle 4 universes but staff is very intimidated by it. My thought was to program a few looks they could for concerts and other minor events into the wall panels. The single universe functions fine but it would look a lot better if I could throw a little color on the cyc for them.

Options as I see them:

1. deal with it as is
2. make staff learn to use the console
2. use the wall panels for universe 1 and a simple portable push button control to control universe 2. (Fleenor pre set 10 portable or similar)
3. find a very simple push button controller that will handle more than one universe
4. replace or reconfigure current wall panels to control more than one universe (is this even possible?)

Unfortunately I'm unclear on the exact make and model of the wall panels. I don't know how they are connected to the dimmers either. Maybe Art-net? Given that the rest of the install is Strand, I'm guessing these are too but I can't find them on the inter-tubes. Dimmers are Strand R21 raceways which also have DMX outs. House lights are on A21 dimmers.

I have reached out to the installer but I'd love to year your thoughts as well...even if it's just to tell me I can't do this.

Thanks!

Good Morning!

You probably have a Philips Strand Vision.Net system and you can and should ask them if they can add a second DMX512 card to the system for capture and playback of Universe #2.

Now a disclaimer. I work for the manufacturer whose product I also recommend you consider.

Possible solution. If the console outputs E1.31 sACN and you have available ports on a PoE switch, then Vignette by Pathway Connectivity may be the answer. You can find more information here: http://www.pathwayconnect.com/index.php/products/dmx-show-controllers-and-consoles/177-vignette You can reach out to [email protected] for applications assistance.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity, Inc.

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

If this is a new Strand installation then you most likely have a Vision.net system. Vision.net will usually communicate with permanent dimmer panels directly with no DMX involved. Other dimmer panels such as raceways will need a Vision.net DMX interface for control. You can add additional DMX interfaces to the system but the existing universe will usually have to be routed through the interface.

Of course this won't be cheap. An issue here is that this is a new space. People will ask why this wasn't included with the initial installation. Possibly a better course of action would be to set up looks that can be run from a focus remote if one exists.

As you had mentioned that you are unaware of what standard is being used to interface the switches and the dimmers, I would suggest that you try and figure that out. In my opinion, you really can't get much done (or figured out) without knowing what you're dealing with.

Thank you all for your excellent information. I'm attempting to get someone over there to send me a few photos of the wall stations. I'll post them as soon as I can but I suspect now that they are vision.net. I'm also waiting to hear back from the installers but this background information is extremely helpful. As @Mac Hosehead said, there will be questions as to why this wasn't included in the initial installation. Yet one more reason they should have listened when I told them to hire a consultant. I've got some digging to do to learn what I can about the system but it's good to know I'm not way off base in my expectations.

Alright. Still don't have any information from the installer but here are some photos of the panels:

Located at the back of the house near an entrance and the in house booth area:
panel 1.png

located back stage left:
(manual allows manual control of house and work lights)

panel 2.png

There are two of these located back stage right. One just inside the stage entrance door and the other just off stage and easily accessible to someone pulling the grand:

panel 3 and 4.png

Thanks again to all who've chimed in with help and information!

No labels on switches means there was no theatre consultant. Probably need another DMX card as Mac points out.

Bingo, Bill. No consultant. I encouraged them to hire one when I heard they were building but they elected not to. What's the saying? Stepping over dollars to pick up dimes? I'm doing my best to get some movement on this but since I'm not the customer, the installer doesn't really have to talk to me and the school is hesitant to invest more in a brand new system that's "functioning". (I'm sure you've heard this story many, many times before!)

Thanks, all for your help on this. I appreciate your time. If and when I get somewhere on this, I'll update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back