Wanted: surface-mountable console-device rack rails

DMahalko

We have a 19-inch rackmount DMX controller that I want to attach to a countertop, on a mobile sound cart. The DMX controller will be attached to a side shelf that folds down, so it needs to be screwed to the shelf permanently.

I would ideally like to have the DMX controller slope towards the operator at the usual 10 degree slope.

I know what I want but I don't have the welding skill or tubing-bending or black-powder-coat capability to make it myself. Does anyone already make this?

proxy.php

proxy.php

* Drawn with Google Sketchup 8

* It would ideally be powder-coat black, but is shown white for detail.

* It would have the usual rack-mount drill-hole pattern. (I didn't see a need to draw in the rack holes in this mockup.)

* And hey, 20, 30, and 45 degree slope surface-mounted ears like this could be useful too.

This is what we have now.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oddly, looking around on the Internet, I cannot find anyone selling the mobile rack carts that we have now. From looking at them, I know that it must be possible for some company to make the curved-tubing surface mount brackets I am looking for.

There's no room to expand the sound equipment on the mobile cart with the mixer, equalizer, and wireless mic receivers, so we're looking to move all the hardware to this mobile audio console:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The light control board would mount on the fold-down side shelf, so that room is kept available on top, for a laptop next to the mixer console.

Dale Mahalko -- Tech Support, Network Admin
Lake Holcombe School District, Holcombe, WI

Some of the scene setters pictured on Elation's website have plastic table blocks installed under the ears. I would contact them and see if they are sold separately. I agree your suggested legs would also be very nice, but if there is nothing pre-made, I would just cut 2 triangles (the length of your rack ears) out of hardwood, paint them black and pre-drill wood screws straight down the edge. You could also do the same up from the bottom if you want to secure the board to the shelf.

it seems to me that if the shelf is folded down and the lighting control board is attached to it, every box, folding chair, will bump and smash into the control surface. and in very short order you will have a useless piece of equipment to dispose of.

hopfuly you plan on securing the folding wing in the up position.

For a number of reasons, you might not find anything like what you want as a prefabricated product. I would not try drilling flat stock for the rack rails, just buy rack rail and cut it to length if necessary, used to do that all the time for custom recessed desktop mounts.

I agree with venuetech that I'm not sure about a permanently attached piece of gear working well with the drop down shelf.

With the front doors on the cart I'd also verify that you have good ventilation for any gear inside. And how you plan on addressing the wireless microphone antennas? Might they present any issues in terms of reception, clearances, etc.?

Can you get the rails and supports from this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKB-1SKB19-P12-12U-Pop-Up-Rackmount-ATA-Mixer-Case-/390675657893

I think I might try to mount the entire case with cover for protection too.

Hmm, very interesting. That does look like a good idea for side protection.

As far as damage due to exposure goes, if you look at our existing racks, they also offer no protection whatsoever to the equalizer. That is part of the reason for wanting the big cart. The DMX dimmer should get some sort of ding protection but at least it's old enough that the replacement cost is far below that of the wireless mic receivers on the other cart.

The other reason for desiring the big cart is its big casters. The little cart casters are very small, and equipment storage is sometimes on a separate floor that requires going through an elevator. The tiny cart casters are small enough they can potentially fall into the gap and break off if the person moving it is pushing it fast or hard enough.

Well I bought that last one there listed on eBay, thank you. It looks like it does what we need and will protect the hardware.

I don't know if I can avoid voiding their case warranty as I would like to permanently attach it to the shelf surface, and run power and DMX to the console through a hole in the case, but oh well for $190 I think we can handle the loss of warranty coverage. It will likely never get as severe abuse as it would anyway, if it were used for its intended purpose of air travel transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back