Warm-ups?!

Do you warm up your cast before the show/rehearsals?

• Total voters
Ahh warm ups. Hate them. Steadfastly object to them. The drama teacher seems to like them. People running around in circles shouting out seems like a waste of time to me. Whats more, when he does it whilst the audience are arriving and in full view of the audience. I tend to think of that as being rather unprofessional.

In case it was not obvious, do not in any way associate or participate in them.

We have "Circle." It starts about 30 minutes before curtain, and it's actually really fun for everybody, not just the actors. Yes, it's a lot of running around and cheering, but I think it does a good job at getting everyone pumped up for the show.

During Circle, aside from the games, we "dedicate" each night of the show to three people, who the circle leaders choose. We also go around the circle and let each person make any sort of announcement that pertains to the show - i.e. see the mic managers for new batteries, cast party is here, etc.

Our circle is held in the chorus room, that way the audience won't see any of it. This also helps to get all cast and crew out of the auditorium so we can open the house to the guests.

as greg as mentioned the actors do do warm ups but they do them with out direction from us see we like to stay away from actors (we dont like them they are all morons ):lol:

icebook1 said:
We have "Circle." It starts about 30 minutes before curtain, and it's actually really fun for everybody, not just the actors. Yes, it's a lot of running around and cheering, but I think it does a good job at getting everyone pumped up for the show.

During Circle, aside from the games, we "dedicate" each night of the show to three people, who the circle leaders choose. We also go around the circle and let each person make any sort of announcement that pertains to the show - i.e. see the mic managers for new batteries, cast party is here, etc.

Our circle is held in the chorus room, that way the audience won't see any of it. This also helps to get all cast and crew out of the auditorium so we can open the house to the guests.

What kind of games do you exactly play? I need something to get everyone pumped up and moving. Normally I have my cast shake down and maybe do 'the machine', which they usually enjoy. But those are old and not so fun anymore. I need something like a cheer.. maybe? Anyone? Bueller?

Not "Warm-ups?!" - It's Warm-ups!!!

Ok, being an actor/technician-turned-teacher I know that warm-ups are absolutely neccessary. I also can say that an SM is very important in that process. I have my SM make sure that the actors are doing a good warm-up before each rehearsal AND before every performance. Since the SM has the responsibility of making sure that the show goes smoothly once it has opened, it is also to the SM's advantage to have his/her actors do good warm-ups. For that reason, the SM needs to have a good knowledge of warm-up techniques.
So often, warm-ups are overlooked because people do not see the advantages that they give to an actor and the tech crew. The focus that is gained in a good warm up as well as the vocal variety helps both the actors and the technitians. A good sense of focus gives a production life and energy, and we all know that if a show does not have suffucuent energy we might as well stay in rehearsal all day long and never really DO the show. The focus also gets the actors in a mindset to accomplish the tasks in front of them for the show (aka - their JOB!!). SMs really do understand (or at least they had better) that actors need certain things in order to do their jobs effectively. Vocal and focus warm-ups are one of those things.
The vocal warmup also helps one other technician significantly - the sound technician. The vocal variety that is gained by a GOOD vocal warm up makes a sound tech's job so much easier in that he won't have to work as hard to make the actors sound good (they do a lot of making mediocre sound sound good!). So every time you can have your actors do a good warm up DO IT. Whether it is in rehearsal or before a performance. If you don't believe me, try it for a couple of days - have your actors warm up and then rehearse/perform. You may not see immediate changes, but over time your job will become a lot easier. I promise!!
PM me if you would like the list of warm ups that I use on a regualr basis and I will send it to your email.

Hope this helps!!:mrgreen:

I usually appoint a head actor of sorts to do a warm up considering before a show I'm usually running around getting the rest of the show in order. Whoever the actor is doesn't have much sway over the cast aside from warming them up and occasionally taking role for me when there's other stuff I need to attend to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back