Warranty On Spare Projector Lamps?

sfxGuy

Hi guys,

Just a stupid question. We have a BenQ SH960 here at the theater for movie nights and the occasional rental. It takes two different lamps at almost $500 each. I need a spare set here but most only come with a 180 day warranty. If I wind up not using the spare lamps within 6 months and one winds up being defective when I do need it, I'm apparently screwed out of $500 and am still short one lamp in the projector. It's not like getting a bad HPL. How does everyone handle this?

Thanks,

Sean

I've bought/installed a lot of spare projector lamps and as long as I use OEM lamps I have never had one that was defective from the manufacturer. That's out of maybe 50-75 lamps in the $300-750/ea range. So I guess my answer is that I wouldn't worry about it too much. Others may have had different experiences though.

Personally, I can't think of a single lamp that I have had fail out of the box. Generally, if you have a bad lamp, it will have a shorter than expected life. Since those projectors do not track lamp life, but instead have a counter for how long they have run, it would be up to your distributer to handle the warranty. Be that as it may, if you have a good relationship with your lamp supplier, you may be able to have the warranty extended. If they are a good dealer, you may have something to work with.

Just wait until you get into the $5-6000 lamps! It is a bargain when I refurb them myself for around $2500.

Yes, those are the big guns in the rental staging world.

Haha yeah. Xenon lamps aren't cheap and depending on use can last as little as 500 hours up to around 1250.

You're also unlikely to see this kind of projector in a high school as they cost around $100k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back