Was this to knock down dust?

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
singfastersprayer.PNG
I recently rewatched "Sing Faster"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022FW90/?tag=controlbooth-20
and several times during scene changes a stage hand walked across stage with a Hudson sprayer with wand held aloft, was this to get the dust to settle?

Our theater department does this in hopes of raising the humidity of the air. Dry air = dry throat = burnt out voice.

In a small venue with the air turned off it seems to work okay.

Your mileage may vary ;-)

Yes. For opera singers to push their lungs and vocal cords as hard as they do, they need to be unimpeded by any dust in the air that might've been kicked up in the last scene change.

I've done it as well. Had an incident a few years ago during a production of Nutcracker Ballet. While everyone complained it was because of the haze that they couldn't breath, they had gone several nights previously without issue. Discovered that the Christmas tree, which had actual flocking on it, had been knocked over on stage that day before the show. Kicked up an incredible amount of particles into the air that made it difficult for the dancers to breath while on stage. Some mopping of the stage areas and misting in the stage areas helped clear the air out for the dancers and the complaints about breathing difficulties ceased.

Following year I got the group to use a new tree that was spray painted white so it wouldn't become a hazard again to the dancers.

Works well in a scene shop too if you kick a large amount of sawdust up in the air and are desperate for some respiratory relief.

OK, now for part two, what do you put in your sprayer, tap water or distilled? If you have a diva in the cast do you use Evian or Perrier? If you have holistic types do you add a few drops of peppermint oil, or if you are doing "Hair" do you add a few drops of patchouli oil?

Hah, I guess I would go with distilled water. If you want to open a can of worms, you could ask her what she likes - but … then you have to do it ;-)

Great story about Divas. A big name opera singer came to the U of Michigan's Hill Auditorium, which seats almost 4500.
During the sound check, she demanded the A/C be turned off or she'd walk, it was in her contract - blah blah. Her handlers ran backstage in a panic.
The house guy, a very amusing and crusty gent, was found and roused from an in depth NY Times story. He begrudgingly left his office and his article to comply.
That night, the hall was sold out. Now, with almost 4500 patrons packing the place, half way through her set, our hero decided to test her BS.
He went to the bowels of the basement and TURNED ON THE AIR. Not long after, in mid song, SHE STOPPED SINGING and demanded the air be turned off or else.
Naturally that sent the promoters and handlers into a tizzy, and all hell broke loose as they tried to get find our house guy to fix this terrible situation - this as 4500 people wondered WTF?
Nonplussed, he was found again, taking his time, he slowly found his way downstairs and flipped the switch back off - to the amusement of all who knew him.

OK, now for part two, what do you put in your sprayer, tap water or distilled? If you have a diva in the cast do you use Evian or Perrier? If you have holistic types do you add a few drops of peppermint oil, or if you are doing "Hair" do you add a few drops of patchouli oil?
I personally prefer ice cubes and sliced cucumbers in my humidified air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back