The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Wash for African American Performance

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by mbenonis, Feb 11, 2005.

1. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator Premium Member

Engineer
    I was just given the tech rider for a show we are having Tuesday (I should have gotten the rider a few weeks ago, but oh well), and it specifies "Clean, general, and even lighting for dark skin African American...suggested gel shades: R99 (Chocolate) and R05 (Rose Tint)." What is the best method for hanging this wash? As many of you know, I'm mainly a sound guy, and I'm certainly by no means a lighting expert. Am I expected here to do alternating gels in pairs, or?

Also, the show requires an "electrocution effect" special on a chair - how would you do this? Perhaps an overhead Source Four gelled blue? What color?

2. JP12687

JP12687 Active Member

well in terms of blue, i have fall in love with the new Lee 700 series...they have this one blue that is amazing

3. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stageline Operator/Staging Supervisor
    I would try to find a lighting bolt gobo and use bright white light to simulate electricity.

4. bdesmond

bdesmond Active Member

Mike-

Often you cross light with two fixtures when you have a warm and a cool color.

If you have a pipe:

-------------------------------------

You can hang fixtures like this, one cool, one warm, lighting the area

-----/------------------------\--------

Play with the relative intensity and you can usually get a nice balanced look.

5. wolf825

wolf825 Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Hey mbenonis.... Several ways to do a front wash..but in a nutshell the easiest way is to run your gel colors in pairs accross your stage. Depending on the instruments and the distance--4 or 5 areas accross the front with each color will work fine--so that is 4 or 5 pairs of lights. Hanging--I would make your first light Gel A, and the light next to it Gel B, and the next light Gel A and then Gel B and so on..pick your focus points direct on front and focus so both beams overlap. I tend to not like the method of hanging all one color on one side and another color on the other side and X shoot to blend..it gives to much shadow and tinting on the face and side IMO.
    As for the gel--R99 chocolate is the BEST gel to use when lighting african americans or other darker skin-toned persons..and use it in contrast to a light amber/pink (the one they suggest is fine) or even no-color clear. Don't use red or blue or green (RGB) for any face/front light--it doesn't work well with most darker skin tones and the combined light of those colors will look very yellow--and it gives too much shadow on facial features.

As for the electrocution...I would do two lights--one faceing almost on top and one from top behind (or a floor light behond the chair if it won't be visable) to sillouette--and flicker them back and forth on a bump button/submaster or fast chase sequence.

thanks my input--others may have other just-as good ideas..good luck...

-w

6. SuperCow

SuperCow Active Member

Alternating colors makes infinately more sense, I don't personally like the other method.