Design Water FX: Rotator or Loop?

ScottH

Hey all. Im trying to get a water ripple effect (not an underwater effect) and im torn between a dual gobo rotator and a fx loop. Anyone want to share their opinions? Specific gobo recomendations are welcome as well.

We did a show not to long ago where we used two dmx gobo rotators mounted on source fours with glass water gobos in them, and we were able to get a really nice looking water ripple effect for a pretty low cost. I'm not sure what brand everything was, because I wasn't in charge of them, but If you want to know I can find out. Hope this helps.

I'm doing a water ripple effect right now with two Martin Mania DC1s rotating in opposite directions. They've been discontinued recently, but I still could get two new without trouble (two for $400, but that in Canada and with tax included, so that's like, what twenty bucks US?), and there are a lot of rental units out there. Forgo the internal colours and pick the colours yourself by taping gel over the lens. (I'm using Rosco 68 and 69, but follow your bliss . . . )

Hey all. Im trying to get a water ripple effect (not an underwater effect) and im torn between a dual gobo rotator and a fx loop. Anyone want to share their opinions? Specific gobo recomendations are welcome as well.

It really depends on how to want it to look. An FX loop device will look more like running water in a stream. Using a rotator will give you an effect more like what you see in reflections from a swimming pool. With the rotator you might want to experiments with using one gobo as static and one rotated as well as rotating both.

It really depends on how to want it to look. An FX loop device will look more like running water in a stream. Using a rotator will give you an effect more like what you see in reflections from a swimming pool. With the rotator you might want to experiments with using one gobo as static and one rotated as well as rotating both.

And those reflections are exactly what im looking for. I suspected the loop would be too cartoony for my application. Rotator it is. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back