Water lighting effect options

nick_fouts

Hi all,

I work for a community theatre whose beloved and well-used Chauvet Oceana finally bit the dust (lamp died and they don’t make replacements anymore).

Are there any modern fixtures that create a similar effect, or a water effect in general? I’ve seen the ADJ H2O LED but I have a hunch it’s not bright enough for stage use, although this is a beautiful effect if it were more powerful.

Any input or ideas on how I might affordable create a water effect would be greatly appreciated! (Or if anyone has black market connections on lamps for the Oceana 😈)

Attachments

• ED10B24F-0B64-4ECA-BFAF-97FD89C253CC.jpeg
    ED10B24F-0B64-4ECA-BFAF-97FD89C253CC.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 228
Take a look at the Abyss USB from Chauvet DJ.
one of our Product Managers, and our DJ Marketing Manager have used them in community theatre down here in Southern Florida. (Little Mermaid, and...?? I don't remember).
They both had good success.
IIRC, I think their throw distance was about 15-20 feet, and they used 2 or 3 to cover the stage with some stage lighting (a little Cyc, and a little side wash, with Follow Spots) on at the same time.

Probably not quite as bright as the Oceanea (with its crazily shaped 300w halogen lamp). But, in the ballpark.

If they have them at your local Guitar Center or Sam Ash, you can probably get one, test it in your space, and just return it if you don't think it will work.
I think they retail for about $350.

HTH,
-Ford

Hi all,

I work for a community theatre whose beloved and well-used Chauvet Oceana finally bit the dust (lamp died and they don’t make replacements anymore).

Are there any modern fixtures that create a similar effect, or a water effect in general? I’ve seen the ADJ H2O LED but I have a hunch it’s not bright enough for stage use, although this is a beautiful effect if it were more powerful.

Any input or ideas on how I might affordable create a water effect would be greatly appreciated! (Or if anyone has black market connections on lamps for the Oceana 😈)
@nick_fouts I hope it's not below your dignity but have you considered some of ye olde school methods involving shallow trays of water with one or two fans blowing GENTLY across them and several intense ellipsoidals, or barn-doored Fresnels shining into them obliquely and bouncing up rippled patterns onto your cyc', sky cloth and / or performer's faces?

Coloring said intense sources in an array of blues and greens often lends to the effect and I suspect a slow and gentle random chase varying betwixt a reduced level and higher level (NOT zero and full) could prove a worthwhile addition.

DON'T lay on too heavily with the fans; the goal is to ripple the water's surface NOT to blow it out of its container, onto the lights and create an overall messy hazard.
I've seen shards of broken mirrors placed on the bottoms of said shallow pans to further enhance the reflections.
Keeping the pans shallow makes it easier for the GENTLE fans to create useful ripples WITHOUT blowing the water out of its containers.

Best of luck and neither drown nor electrocute anyone or anything.
Toodleoo!
Ron (from safely north of Donald's walls) Hebbard

If you’re looking for new fixtures to replace it, I’d like to recommend ‘ROSCO X-Effect LED Projector -5500K’.
I love the output of it for water effects & others.
It’s using maximum 65w power & 4,000 lumens LED.
Means it has all LED pros & bright enough to use on stage.
I believe it could be one of options you can take a look.

If you’re looking for new fixtures to replace it, I’d like to recommend ‘ROSCO X-Effect LED Projector -5500K’.
I love the output of it for water effects & others.
It’s using maximum 65w power & 4,000 lumens LED.
Means it has all LED pros & bright enough to use on stage.
I believe it could be one of options you can take a look.

Or if you ca get the older one, it uses a traditional halogen. The Roscoe X24 (either variant) would be great at this. They also make multiple lenses for a variety of beam spreads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back