Control/Dimming We want to upgrade our controller...any suggestions?

Our small (and poor) theater group has the chance to buy a new controller and one or two dimmer packs. Right now, we have an ancient 24-channel analog board and some old analog packs. A couple of years ago, we were able to upgrade one pack to a Leprecon MX2400 (analog or digital). We're looking at the Leprecon 1536 controller, but wonder if there's a better choice for us. Maybe some of you seasoned lighting people have some suggestions? Here are things that are important to us:
1. It needs to be pretty easy to use. Most people here are used to a 24-channel two-preset board.
2. It should have more than 24 channels, because we always run out of dimmers. We're thinking 36.
3. It should be relatively inexpensive.
Since we have one dimmer pack already that is either analog or digital, we're thinking of getting a digital board, and upgrading the other dimmer packs or using the board in analog mode until we get more $$.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Since we've never used the Lepricon 1536, it would be helpful to get some feedback on how people like it. Thanks:)

What analog dimmers do you currently use. We need to know if they can be adapted.

Hi,
We have three dimmer packs...two are Lepricon LD-2400 analog only, and one is a Lepricon MX-2400 analog or digital. I am assuming that we would need to order the new console with analog capability to operate these older units. Maybe there's an easier way?

Hi,
We have three dimmer packs...two are Lepricon LD-2400 analog only, and one is a Lepricon MX-2400 analog or digital. I am assuming that we would need to order the new console with analog capability to operate these older units. Maybe there's an easier way?
The easy thing to do would be to get a DMX to Analog converter from Pathport. There's not a lot of console choices out there that include an analog output anymore. If you can talk DMX to all your packs you will have a lot more options.

The easy thing to do would be to get a DMX to Analog converter from Pathport. ...
Pathway Connectivity and Doug Fleenor Design are top of the line, but other options exist, such as this from Northlight Systems, which involves some wiring skills. See also the Collaborative Article DIY DMX: Demux, Protocol Converters, etc..

Once everything is DMX, northcoastlts, you have many more options. One example: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/3019-review-smartfade-2496-a.html. The ability to add a computer to the system, as well as the off-line software, makes it far superior to the Leprecon 1536 in my opinion.http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/northcoastlts.html

Last edited:
Our small (and poor) theater group has the chance to buy a new controller and one or two dimmer packs. Right now, we have an ancient 24-channel analog board and some old analog packs. A couple of years ago, we were able to upgrade one pack to a Leprecon MX2400 (analog or digital). We're looking at the Leprecon 1536 controller, but wonder if there's a better choice for us. Maybe some of you seasoned lighting people have some suggestions? Here are things that are important to us:
1. It needs to be pretty easy to use. Most people here are used to a 24-channel two-preset board.
2. It should have more than 24 channels, because we always run out of dimmers. We're thinking 36.
3. It should be relatively inexpensive.
Since we have one dimmer pack already that is either analog or digital, we're thinking of getting a digital board, and upgrading the other dimmer packs or using the board in analog mode until we get more $$.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Since we've never used the Lepricon 1536, it would be helpful to get some feedback on how people like it. Thanks:)

Leprecon is OK for reliability, not as good as ETC, but I'd rate a LP1500 as on par with a Smartfade in terms of capabilities, for your purposes. It's actually fairly easy to write and run cues on the 1500.

I used a LP1500/48 for a few years and liked the operating system. One HUGE advantage, is they still make this console with analog outputs, so you save in not having to get a digital to analog converter. I'd certainly call them in Michigan, tell them what dimmer packs you have and ask them what would work. Note also that the 1500 has dual outputs and will always have a DMX output should you decide to add dimmers down the road. Only question I would have is do the analog outputs route thru the console digital patch section, or is it 1:1.

Note that always a fan of and recommending something that will work 10 years down the road and pretty much always recommend ETC. Maybe not this time as your requirements seem tailor made for the LP1500.

Definitely recommend the Smartfade. I got the chance play with one (ML) at this year's Illinois High School Theatre Festival, and was really impressed with the features and price of the console. Although Leprecon is certainly a better route than say, Colortran, an ETC console will stay with you for years. (The fact that the representatives from ETC gave me a Periodic Table of Element poster while I was at their booth might have influenced my recommendation...)

Illinois State University's Kemp Recital Hall has a Leprecon 612 that I had the opportunity to use when my school's show was performing there, and it actually wasn't too bad to use considering its age.

Champsys Magic Q is free PC based control software, all you need is a mediocre computer and a $140 USB-DMX dongle. You'll be running your system in no time. You can download the software and try it for free. Take your money and spend it on dimmers now. Down the road, invest in either a better control board or a control wing for the MagicQ. A search here on CB will find lots of threads about MagicQ.

Ooh, didn't think about MagicQ. That sounds perfect for your facility, assuming you're okay with not having any physical faders/buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back