Weight Supporting Sand Dunes

buf022

Hello Everyone,
I am doing show at a high school (Midsummer / Jersey) that has a beach scene where I need to make two large sand dunes approximately (8' long 3' tall 3' deep), they need to be able to be walked on. I have been tossing around the idea of polystyrene coated in VSSSD but I'm not sure how well that will hold up to people running all over it. Is there another preferred construction, or coating for this. Also I am a volunteer at a high school so we are pretty low budget. Thanks in advance for everyone's input, this forum is great!

Expanded Polystyrene covered in cheese cloth has worked for me in the past. At least 3 layers of the cloth adhered with a glue wash gives enough strength to walk on. Muslin also works, but is harder to form around organic contours without creating wrinkles. Dope afterwords if you want it, but a sprayed textured paint will mask the grid of the fabric and give it a sandy look.

This method is good for feet and hands, but watch out for big loads on small footprints, like canes/walking sticks/crutches. I've seen them punch through the skin of the dune and into the foam...not a fun fix.

I am making some sand dunes for South Pacific. I made a skeletal platform system, tacked mesh to the edges to build up the sand walls. I am a little stuck on how to create the walls and build it up. I laid out the fabric over the top to get a feel for what the edges would look like. I was thinking Monster Mud or VSSSD. Can you use VSSSD for dipping fabric? or is it just a paint on medium. Actors will be standing on it, possibly barefoot so I really want the OSB covered for a "safe" surface. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 202
I am making some sand dunes for South Pacific. I made a skeletal platform system, tacked mesh to the edges to build up the sand walls. I am a little stuck on how to create the walls and build it up. I laid out the fabric over the top to get a feel for what the edges would look like. I was thinking Monster Mud or VSSSD. Can you use VSSSD for dipping fabric? or is it just a paint on medium. Actors will be standing on it, possibly barefoot so I really want the OSB covered for a "safe" surface. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 225
You can dip in VSSSD but remember it is not a "hard coat" it won't provide any structural integrity to the fabric; it stays relatively flexible. You really need to make sure whatever cloth, cheesecloth/muslin you use is firmly backed. Styrofoam or EPS is usually sufficient.

This image is Cheesecloth over Styro <and 3/4 ply on top this was for "The Flying Dutchman" at Sarasota Spring Opera.

Attachments

• WP_20131230_008.jpg
    WP_20131230_008.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 223

Users who are viewing this thread

Back